Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/26 04:52
I plan to rent a car to do this trip in December. Please let me know if it's feasible. many thanks :)

Monday - nanzo temple/City shopping -->hotel at Fukuoka•Ÿ‰ª

Tuesday - Kumamoto temple ŒF–{Žs/Aso volcano --> hotel at üKì溫ò

Wednesday - Hells at Beppu•Ê•{Žs --> hotel at Yufuin—R•z‰@

Thursday - morning walk at Yufuin/Takachiho Gorge‚ç•ä --> hotel at Miyazaki

Friday - Udo-jingū (‰LŒË_‹{)/sun messe Nichinan/Devil's Washboard --> hotel at kagoshima

Saturday - Sakurajima/shopping --> hotel at kagoshimaŽ­Ž™“‡

Sunday - go home
by PEGGYFAN  

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/26 10:00
You have 4 to 6 hours of travel per day. Way too aggressive.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/26 11:06
I think most of it is fine. Thursday and Friday could be a bit rush. Getting in and out of takachiho will require some travel time.
by jmisugi rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/26 22:18
Thanks above for the comments! If you have any suggestion, please kindly let me know :)
by PEGGYFAN rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/26 23:08
It's potentially possible to go to these locations - but I will say that you will be using the tollways a lot as this will speed things up.

If you have never driven in Japan, I will say that non-toll roads tend to rarely be over 60 km/h so it's not as fast as most countries.

Another question to ask is what specifically do you like to do? The reason I ask is I could suggest some potential changes but would prefer to hear what stuff you like to do before I make them.

At present, I think I have spent around 5 or so weeks traveling Kyushu in depth and have been to most major sites apart from Kagoshima which I'll finish in January.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 01:01
Hey mfedley,

Good to know the speed in Japan. I used to drive 100km+ in Canada on the highway. Yeah I'm sure I will go to tollways! One of the purpose of my trip would be spending couple days on onsen. I don't want to be rush as well coz I am going with couple of senior. Thinking of cutting out Aso Volcano and Kumamoto. Just go straight from Fukuoka to üKì溫ò.... what do you think?

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 08:38
I would agree to cut something. But what you cut is up to you. A whole day of sights removed would make the other 5 days much better. Takachiko for example is somewhere you wanna do in only 60 minutes.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 08:57
I rejigged your itinerary to make smoother transitions between locations on map, and removed Kumamoto/Asosan. This give you 1hr to 2h30m max drive time each day, compared to your previous 4-6hr drive time days.

Monday - Nanzo-in/City shopping, hotel at Fukuoka

Tuesday - To Beppu, hotel at Yufuin

Wednesday - Morning plus lunch at Yufuin, afternoon plus hotel at Kurokawa Onsen

Thursday - morning at Kurokawa Onsen, afternoon at Takachiho, hotel at Miyazaki

Friday - Nichinan coastline, hotel at kagoshima

Saturday - Sakurajima/shopping, hotel at kagoshima

Sunday - go home

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 09:13
Hakata14,

Your suggested itinerary is awesome!!! Thanks million for your help!! I will definitely follow thru :)
BTW, is it popular to buy the NOC in Japan? I never heard of NOC in North America! In here, CDW is good enough...

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 09:17
Sorry the Kurokawa to Miyazaki via Takachiho is just over 3 hours. You'd probably need to depart Kurokawa mid to late morning and have lunch at Takachiho or somewhere on the way.

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 09:43
got it!!

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 10:33
As far as the sights themselves go, it is not too much at all. Nanzoin could be seen in 1-1½ quite leisurely. As for shopping, that could be an hour or a whole day - up to you, and a car is not needed at all. You really don't need a car on your first day.
Sakurajima could easily take a half day, if you want to get out and walk around. The Senganen Garden is also very good and well worth seeing in the city.
https://goo.gl/Q843Bg

If you can fit in some sights near Aso like the Daikanbo Lookout (if the weather is good) as well as the Nabegataki Falls, you'll be well rewarded. Neither takes that long, and offer great scenery. As for getting around, there is the Kyushu Expressway Pass but if you are not taking the expressways enough it is not worth it of course.
http://global.w-nexco.co.jp/en/kep/

Regarding the NOC charge, this is one thing you really need to contact your credit card company and find what they specifically cover and don't. Your chances of an accident are overall not that high if you are careful - drivers are normally not wild like some other countries - but that NOC is high and it may be better not to tempt fate.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/27 10:40
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is my itinerary too aggressive? 2019/9/28 05:00
Thanks Ken and mfedley for the useful info :)

reply to this thread