Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ise Jingu from Kyoto on New Year Day 2019/9/28 23:46
I am planning a visit to Ise Jingu on 1 Jan 2020. Will be travelling from Kyoto.

I was told that there will be public transport available 24 hours and I can try to catch a train from Kyoto from 2am plus and be in time for the sunrise at the Ise Jingu gate.

I searched around but could not find info about the 24/7 public tranaport. I would like to know if this is true and if so, where can I find info?

Thanks in advance.
by Karen Sun (guest)  

Re: Ise Jingu from Kyoto on New Year Day 2019/9/29 07:44
Yes, Kintetsu Railway will run 24 hours in the night from December 31 to January 1 and will allow you to get from Kyoto to Ise. A transfer of trains may be required along the way.

Not all train lines will be running 24 hours, though. It won't be possible to get from Kyoto to Ise by Japan Railways (JR) during the night, for example.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Ise Jingu from Kyoto on New Year Day 2019/9/29 14:02
Note that New Years is normally the busiest day for shrines in Japan. I've waited 2.5 hours just to visit a shrine on the 6th of January which is known as a smaller and less important shrine than Ise. I'm not talking about praying - but just to get close enough to get a carpark and this affected the buses trying to get to the location as well. Public transport is the best way to get there - but everyone and their dog will be there.

If your flexible with timing and are not going there for a shinto reason - could you consider visiting on the day before?
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread