Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby boy name 2019/10/3 09:37
Hello,
Ifm due to have a baby boy in the next few month. My husband is western and Ifm Japanese. Our child will be based in Australia. Ifll like to have a western name but if we go back to Japan, my baby can use hefs name in Japanese. Eg. ken,George, Leo.
I feel like boy names is much harder with this combination. Girl names is easier and more to choose from like Naomi.
I did like Leo but seems like Leo is within top 5 name in Australia and itfs also top 2 in japan. so I donft know if I want a popular name.
I do like 1 syllable names but my husband last name is also 1 syllable so it doesnft sound as nice. Eg. Itfll sound like Stan lee. The Japanese names I liked was Ren and Jin but there is no western name that sounds similar I can combine with. Eg Kai. Can extend to kaiden.

Would love to hear some advice, thank you!
by Erin (guest)  

Re: Help on baby boy name 2019/10/3 12:34
Would you consider a gender neutral name like Sasha? I knew a Euro-Japanese couple who named their daughter Sasha, but it is a gender neutral name. I know it's popular but would Noah work?
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/3 19:20
Naomi is also commonly used as a boy's name in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/3 21:51
I recently had a baby boy here and went through a lot of back and forth trying to find a name that would work in both languages. It's definitely more difficult for boys than girls! Unfortunately, I deleted my full list of names I was considering, but here are a few that might work that I remember off it:

(English/Japanese)

Ian / Ien
Owen / Oen
Caden (Kaiden etc.) / Keiden
Mason / Meison
Noah / Noa
Sawyer / Souya
Eugene / Yuujin

Obviously Ken / Leo / Kai are really popular. You could probably do Kei pretty easily too. For Ren, you can do Kieran (Kiren)! That is actually the name we ended up choosing :)

by Murny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/3 22:19
I feel sorry for the poor kids that get those monstrous names just because their parents couldn't make up their minds between choosing a Japanese or an English name (yes, English, usually when people say Western they really mean English) and decided to play Frankenstein...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/3 23:27
I tend to agree with the above sentiment. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to the small selection of names which work perfectly in both languages when there are plenty of normal English names that don't sound odd when said in Japanese too. Tony, Justin, John, Dan, Mason, Logan, Vinnie, there are seriously hundreds. The same is true for Japanese names. Nobody in Australia is going to bat an eyelid at the half-Japanese kid with the Japanese name.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/4 08:22
Thank you very much for everyonefs help. I should be less fussy and go with what I like. I do like Liam.
by Erin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/7 17:05
...there are plenty of normal English names that don't sound odd when said in Japanese too. Tony, Justin, John, Dan, Mason, Logan, Vinnie...

While I don't disagree with you in principle and agree that some of these do not sound odd in Japanese, I do not think that Logan would be an advisable name for a half Japanese child. At least, not until they were much older and had failing eyesight.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Baby boy name 2019/10/8 00:28
Owen, Mason, Kaden and Noah are all super popular boys names in the USA right now. Last year, my kid had a Kaden, a Brayden, and an Aiden all in her class.

Looking at the list of classroom names at our new school, I see Noah M and Noah C because there are so many and I see a lot of Owens and Masons as well. I would not be surprised to see an Ian or a Sawyer and parents on a FB group I belong to are recommending Sawyer to an expecting mother. About the only name I've seen mentioned which seems really out there is Eugene.

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread