Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/9 22:29
I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at this itinerary we are planning.
Apart from local attractions in each of the 3 locations (Kyoto, Osaka & Tokyo) in which we are basing ourselves, I am not sure we are using our 14 day JR national pass as much as possible.
Any suggestions / recommendations to fully utilise the JR pass would be appreciated.
Kyoto (3 days) - local tourist attractions.
Kyoto - Hikone day trip
Kyoto to Osaka.
Osaka (4 days) - local tourist attractions.
Osaka-Nara day trip / Osaka - Hiroshima day trip / Osaka - Kobe & Himeji castle day trip
Osaka to Tokyo
Tokyo (6 days) - local tourist attractions
Tokyo - Odawara day trip / Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama day trip
Tokyo - Toshogu day trip
Any help would be appreciated
by Kevin (guest)  

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/10 10:38
Hi, you arent really using your pass that much and I'm not sure whether you will be getting value for money but your trip has a pretty good structure for most people (too much cities for my liking but I dont like cities at all, eg I would stay at Nara instead of Osaka).

If you want to get a bit more bang from your buck with the pass, maybe some longer trips out of Tokyo, eg to Izu peninsula one way or Karuizawa or Bessho Onsen (Ueda is the shinkansen stop) heading out toward Nagano.

You might also try to get all your shinkansen travel done in the first week and leave the second for local trains, but I'm not sure how that would work out cost wise.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/10 22:48
Hi Lazy Pious.......Thanks for looking at this and your suggestions. I'm looking at a few changes to incorporate some of the trips you mentioned.

Any additional ideas from anyone would be most welcome.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/11 01:30
I am not sure if the pass works out price wise for you, but I can tell you that from my experience that I have purchased the 14 day JR pass because it is quick and easy to use even if it technically did not place me ahead in my original planning (cost more to have the pass then purchase individual train tickets). Sometimes plans change and the pass allows you to get unlimited trips in the window. You can go to Hyperdia and map out your trip to see if cost wise it makes sense.

A few thoughts on your day trips:
Osaka-Nara day trip
Great day trip from Osaka. Not much of a night life, you might want to plan on enjoying the Osaka night life and food and leave Nara around 5 when all the sites close.

Osaka - Hiroshima day trip (85 min trip each way) I am not sure when you are planning to go (early in the day or late) but one of the more fun places to visit is Miyajima island off Hiroshima. Miyajima has deer on the island, they are known for the momiji cookie, hiking trails and have great food. There is a well known floating Tori gate. If possible it is fun to see at high tide and low tide. It might be worth it to stay overnight...or plan to split your day between Hiroshima and Miyajima.

Osaka - Kobe & Himeji castle day trip
Last time I went to Himeji I spent the whole day around the castle and garden next door. You might travel differently (fast paced) but there is a lot of history.
Kobe is large, so you can not switch between places quickly. I am not sure if you are there for the Kobe beef or the sites. Both are amazing. I highly recommend going to the Kobe Gardens if you have time. I spent a day in Kobe and am sorry I did not have more time.

I hope this helps. No matter what you decide you will have a great time.
by Kuro Kishi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/11 08:49
The day trip to Toshogu is severe from Tokyo.
I recommend Kawagoe.Kawagoe maintains a medieval image in Tokyo (Edo).
It's a train from Tokyo to Kawagoe, about one hour
https://youtu.be/5jX23PXDJW4

Kawagoe Tourist Information
https://www.city.kawagoe.saitama.jp/welcome/kankobenrijoho/pamphlet_dl...

by deep japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/11 09:50
14 day pass is a waste of money.

7 day pass will work to do your hiroshima return trip and on to Tokyo one way in that 7 days.

Or 13500 yen 5 day kansai hiroshima pass. And 14000 yen one way ticket osaka/kyoto to Tokyo.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check for 14 day trip Oct/Nov 2019 2019/10/11 17:13
Thanks everyone for the input / suggestions. All very welcome and many being incorporated.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread