Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 15:42
 I was just wondering if it was safe and worth it to do a day trip to Kamakura tomorrow with the typoon approching. I went to Nikkon today and aside from the rain it was fine.

My other option is to stay in Toyoko, but I have already done all my major intinery items. I (hopefully) fly out Sunday.
by L.G. (guest)  

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 18:54
I would NOT go to Kamakura tomorrow. Trains will stop running tomorrow morning and not restart until 13/Oct midday. Per current plan.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/aas/20191011_o_typoon19eng_mult_03.pdf

Some train lines wonft run the entire day, others will stop around 9 am or the last Yamanote line around 13:00.

So if anything I would get towards the airport tomorrow early morning or even today , depending on when your flight is scheduled to depart on Sunday trains might not yet be back to operation.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 19:01
More information will become available probably here:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/

This is JR only. But I guess if you look for other companies it will be similar.

Japan regularly grounds to a stop before and a little bit after a typhoon. Companies, restaurants etc might be closed. Most companies order their employees to go /stay home during typhoons.

So even if you plan to go to a museum in Tokyo tomorrow check their webpage before making the trek if they are open.

No 2019/10/11 20:00
No, it is extremely dangerous to go out anywhere on Oct 12, 2019, if you're in Greater Tokyo. The news and public announcements have been trying very hard to encourage people to stay inside and prepare for what could be the biggest typhoon in decades. If you're staying at a hotel, pay attention to the receptionists. Be sure you have enough food and water for tomorrow. If you don't, go buy now.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 20:00
Thanks! I was still in Nikkon when I posted and didn't see/hear the train notifications. I saw the signs when I got back to Toyko.

Now my biggest concern is if I will be able to get to the airport and fly out.
by L.G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 20:42
I'm sure you can get weather reports in English, but the weather in Greater Tokyo is expected to recover on Sunday. Let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be no critical damage by then.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/11 23:08
If I suffer from a typhoon in Tokyo, Japanese best recommends a big shopping mall and an ion Lake town.The incredible and big shopping mall which can't be given up in 1 day.
https://youtu.be/gSbXeV5g1wI
by deep japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/12 00:35
Shopping malls might well be closed tomorrow. Essentially tomorrow everyonefs task is to stay inside and take refuge.

Take care everyone!!!

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/12 02:11
Check with your airline company regarding your flight. Both Haneda and Narita airports are closing, too. You should consider staying longer at your hotel, if there is vacancy.
by Tobi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it safe to go to Kamakura 2019/10/12 02:44
The Tokyo area will experience intense winds of almost 160 km per hour ,those in high-rise will feel the most intense winds of them all, travel is not advisable for no one,till the storm passed
by Yrral (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread