Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano flooding 2019/10/15 05:03
We were originally going to Yamanouchi, in Nagano, in a week and a half (October 24). It is a temporary stop and I'm wondering if you think it will be safe to go by then or if we should take a different route?
by Juan (guest)  

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/15 07:14
The shinkansen to Nagano is running (but not from the direction of Kanazawa). The train from Nagano to Yudanaka is running normally, and buses in the area started running again today. However, the monkey park is still closed, and it is uncertain when it will reopen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/15 15:33
Thank you!
I did get in contact with the inn we're staying at and they said that their town was not damaged by the typhoon and the monkey park is now open again (even though the monkeys are staying away for the moment).
by Juan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/15 20:26
Yep. It seems it is open again... but the water is so cold (6C) that the monkeys are not coming. Understandable, if you ask me.

You can try their web page and google translate to see if something changes:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/cpiblog00543/archives/50565895.html

The village itself is very enjoyable... but you are obviously making the trip there to see monkeys. So if your trip is coming up soon you might want to consider changing your plans.

Enjoy your trip anyway, regardless where you decide to go!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/17 10:01
Does anyone know where to find information about when the Nagano - Kanazawa shinkansen will be open again? Alternatively what would be the recommended best route to get from Nagano to Kanazawa. We hope it will be up and running again by the time we are there in November.
by Pat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/17 21:03
Does anyone know where to find information about when the Nagano - Kanazawa shinkansen will be open again?

This is updated on a daily basis:
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html

And here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2167.html

It seems that it will reopen around early next week.

Alternatively what would be the recommended best route to get from Nagano to Kanazawa. We hope it will be up and running again by the time we are there in November.

Yes, it will be running again in November.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/17 23:55
I bought a Hokuriku Shinkansen Arch pass and plan to travel from Tokyo to Nagano, Kurobe, Toyama and then back to Tokyo again. My travel date is 1 Nov 2019 and I am worried that my travel plan will be affected due to non operation of hokuriku shinkansen for the route that I am covering.

Anyone can advise me if I can still go ahead with the plan? I am now left with not much time to re-do the travel plan and accommodation.

Also where can I find the new train schedule? Hyperdia seems to be not updated yet and still shows the usual bullet train schedules.

Many thanks!
by CKT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/18 05:53
They predict 1 to 2 weeks to fix the flood damaged signal issues.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding and Hokuriku Shinkansen 2019/10/18 15:45
NHK distributed a news flash (around 14:15 JST)
to report that JR-East will restart from October the 25th
the operation of the Hokuriku Shinkansen,
which is now interrupted for JR-East section Nagano -- Joetsumyoko.

The number of Tokyo -- Kanazawa direct trains is expected to be about nine-tenths as the usual.

At the Shinkansen maintenance center in Nagano City,
due to the last weekend torrential rainfall caused by Typhoon #19 Hagibis,
one-third (120 cars for ten trains) of all the Hokuriku Shinkansen train cars
were flooded.
(It seems that JR-East and JR-West have decided to secure Tokyo -- Kanazawa direct trains as many as possible.)

The Hokuriku Shinkansen
is the only Shinkansen line where the electric frequency changes as trains go;
therefore,
train cars designed simply for other Shinkansen lines
cannot be alternatively used.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano flooding 2019/10/21 18:00
The Monkey Park was closed briefly. The monkeys returned and still lots around. The access trail has a few patches of damage, but nothing that prevents a visit. (Lots of monkeys when I visited on the 19th.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread