Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass or IC/Pasmo card? 2019/10/17 14:09
Hi! Ifm tagging along with my roommate and her family when they go to Japan in December. Her familyfs apartment is in Yokohama, and we will be traveling around there and to and around Tokyo. I am a little confused on the rail pass system. Do I need to buy a rail pass and an IC card? And then use the rail pass at the trains and the IC cards on the subway. Or can I just buy one or the other? Thanks!
by Lauren (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass or IC/Pasmo card? 2019/10/17 15:37
Hi!

Unless you are planning to do a lot of long distance expensive shinkansen travel, you don't need to think about a rail pass of any variety. If you're just going to be traveling between Tokyo and Yokohama, an IC card should be enough. IC Cards (Pasmo and Suica) are good on subways and pretty much every train in Tokyo regardless of company. To be honest, an IC Card isn't required either, it just makes things more convenient since you don't need to look up fares ahead of time and can just swipe your card and refill it as necessary.

Enjoy!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass or IC/Pasmo card? 2019/10/17 15:45
Just within Yokohama and Tokyo you will only need an IC card.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass or IC/Pasmo card? 2019/10/17 17:19
To add on to the already very good answer, you should read the "Transport" section of this website so you have a better understanding of how everything works (trains, tickets, IC cards, rail passes, etc.) before arriving in Japan.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass or IC/Pasmo card? 2019/11/4 21:16
Hi Lauren!
That depends on how much you want to travel around Japan. The JR Pass is basically for long-distance trips. One example: if you're at least traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto, then this pass pays off.

If you're only traveling between Tokyo and Yokohama, an IC card should work for you. The Japanese IC Cards are rechargeable prepaid travel cards that can be loaded with funds and used for public transportation at train stations, metro stations, bus depots, ferries, and cable cars.

Pasmo and Suica are compatible and nearly identical in their uses. Which one you choose will likely depend on which station you come to first: JR train station (Suica), Tokyo Metro station (Pasmo).

Of course, you have the option of purchasing an IC Card once in Japan and use it along with your Japan Rail Pass to move quickly through busy train stations without waiting in long lines to buy your ticket.

More details: https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/using-japanese-ic-cards
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread