Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 15:18
Planning to visit japan for 2nd times, we are travelling with 6yo kid. We have 7 days with 7days JR pass.
We purchased return flight from our home country to osaka (kix). So our journey will start and end from kix.
Now a bit confused in creating an itinerary, because this time...must visit:
Shirakawa go
Alphine route
Sapporo
Is it possible? From bottom to top in 7 days using the most of JRpass?
by tonny s (guest)  

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 15:32
Wait, are you asking if it is possible to use a JR Pass to travel within 7 days between Osaka and Sapporo and back to Osaka, with a 6 yer old?

I hope your 6 year old likes spending hours sitting on trains. I know my 9 year old doesn't and didn't at 6 either.

You didn't say when you are planning to do this but make sure the Alpine Route is open during your time period. In November, it is recommended to go in from the Nagano side.

Good luck.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 15:43
You need a full day to get to Sapporo from Osaka. So you lose 2 full day just getting there and back. Not worth it on a train.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 16:50
Drop Sapporo please, the journey moving up and down gonna waste you at least 1/3 of your whole 7 days sitting in the trains.
by Delardino rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 21:04
And why bother with a rail pass when you're going to Shirakawago?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 22:35
Definitely go to Sapporo. I'd also think about Kagoshima
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 22:48
Take a domestic flight to Sapporo if you absolutely must visit somewhere so far from Kansai, you wonft regret it.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 22:53
Thx for all the reply so far. I will put it all into my consideration. I forgot to mention that we are going to japan on next june. Since this is our 2nd times to visit japan so we wont repeat the same itinerary like last time (fuji, kyoto, tokyo, osaka, disney)
I know its a long journey from osaka to sapporo but im thinking like stopover at nagoya (for shirakawa n alpine) then tokyo and to sapporo.
But i will thinking about flight option to sapporo.
by tonny s (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7d Japan Rail Pass Osaka-Sapporo with kids 2019/10/17 23:45
with 7 days:

Day 1: Land in Osaka and travel to Kanazawa. (4 hours by train)
Day 2: Shirakawago day trip from Kanazawa ( 4 hour round trip by bus)
Day 3: Alpine route, end at Matsumoto. ( 8+ hours on various trains and buses)
Day 4: Matsumoto to Sapporo trip (10-11 hours by multiple trains)
Day 5-6: Sapporo
Day 7: Sapporo to Osaka (11-12 hours by multiple trains)

Your poor 6 year old will only remember being stuck in trains and buses for the vast majority of the trip, with the only break being in Sapporo. I predict the kid's frustration will result in frequent tantrums and acting out.

Doesn't sound like an ideal use of 7 days in Japan, but it is technically possible.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread