Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/18 13:19
We will be walking the Kumano Kodo in April 2020 and am planning our days afterwards. I am thinking that after all the walking, we may want to stay put and rest for a couple of days. Does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere beautiful and peaceful (not too touristy) on the Kii Peninsula where they recommend for relaxing. We finish in Nachisan/Kii Katsuura area so we probably want to spend at least one night in that area. We are on a mid-range budget.
by CatNap9  

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/18 15:43
Check out the visit wakayama website
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/18 15:55
You may already be staying there if you start the walk from Tanabe but I really enjoyed the charming town Takahara and the Kiri-na-Sato lodge, amazing food and beautiful scenery. Wrote about it here: https://bizarrejourneys.com/walking-kumano-kodo/
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/18 23:05

We highly recommend Hotel Urashima, stayed here 2 nights after the Kumano hike, what an experience!
http://www.hotelurashima.co.jp/
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/19 02:42
Ifd stay one night at Urashima.
The baths are great but the hotel is a bit of a zoo for tour parties and the food is average.
Ifd stay one night at the really lovely onsen village whose name I canft remember (but there are only really two onsen villages int the area. The other is Kawayu, which is also nice but not AS nice).
If youfre interested, do some research on the Kumamoto website and leave the links on here and Ifll let you know which one I mean.
We spent a week or so on the peninsula about 18m ago and had a great time.

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/19 07:08
Winter Visitor - the other onsen village may be Yunomine? Lovely place.

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/19 11:07
I stayed at vacation club resort called Kyukamura, near Ukui station a little north of Urashima mentioned above. You need not be a member to stay. Itfs a family oriented hotel.
Kyukamura Nanki-Katsuura;
https://goo.gl/maps/WByBmsP5qiC13phk6

The room and ocean-view onsen were great, the dinner is casual buffet style. The price was right. They offer free shuttle service to/from the train stations.
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/19 16:50
Yes! Yunomine. Lovely place. Thanks for that.

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/23 00:17
Thanks everyone for your valued suggestions. We are already staying a night at Takahara at Kiri-na-Sato, which looks amazing. We tried to get in again after our walk, but it is fully booked. We actually booked the dates of our walk to be able to stay there.
We are also staying 2 nights at Yunomine Onsen, so have that covered.
We've looked into Urashima but the reviews are very mixed and since it's expensive on our budget, we will pass. Kyukamura Nanki-Katsuura also had mixed reviews.
Still unsure, we are considering somewhere between Kii Katsuura and Hiroshima, since Hiroshima is our next destination, we could relax somewhere in between?
by CatNap9 rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/23 01:05
Between Kii Katsuura & Hiroshima there are so many options. Kobe, Himeji, Okayama, Kurashiki, Takamatsu, Onomichi etc. You could even go to Matsuyama & then to Hiroshima by ferry. If the timing is right then Ritsurin in Takamatsu would be magnificent in April.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/23 09:15
I do like the Hiroshima area and also the inland sea. There is this tiny guesthouse at one of the Shimanami Kaido (fantastic cycling route if you have any energy after the Kumono walk) route islands called Shiomi House (http://shiomihouse.com/en/) - it is very reasonably priced and the cooking is amazing (and old Japanese house setting with a wood fired bath prepared by the owners in the evening). The island is super tiny but is home to one nice book cafe also serving bottled craft beer. This may just be an option only if you are not into sightseeing (obviously Hiroshima region is home to some of the best sightseeing spots) but want to experience the very slow inland see life on those tiny islands. April should be lovely weather-wise. I was there in May last year: https://bizarrejourneys.com/shimanami-kaido/ Also - you do not need to ride the entire Shimanami Kaido route but can drop off your rented bike in many various spots if you would also like to have a taste of bridge crossing.

Re: After Kumano Kodo 2019/10/29 10:02
Thanks again, since we are already seeing so many of those places as part of our extended itinerary, including cycling the Shimanami Kaido, we have decided to go straight to Hiroshima and spend a full four nights there. It may be too long to spend in Hiroshima, but it will be nice to stay 4 nights in once place after over a week of different accommodations every night. Thank you!
by CatNap9 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread