Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/23 06:08
Hello there,

On 5th November I will be travelling to Hakone for a one day trip. I am aware of the damage that the typhoon did to the region. I had a planned itinerary for the day, however I will have to change it. And here is my question, if you could suggest me changes to the itinerary so it will be doable in the current situation:

8:56 - Shinkansen Kodama from Tokyo to Odawara
9:47 - acquisition of Hakone Free Pass and taking Odakyu Ltd Exp Hakone to Hakone-Yumoto
10:04 - arrival at Hakone-Yumoto, Hakone Tozan Bus H Route to the Motohakone-ko
10:50 - arrival at Motohakone-ko, Hakone Sighstseeing Cruise
11:20 - arrival at Togendai & early lunch
12:20 - Hakone Ropeway to Sounzan Station (ropeway not operating due to volcanic activity)
13:10 - Hakone Tozan Cable Car to Gora Station
13:30 - arrival to Chokoku-no-mori by Hakone Tozan Train (train not operating)
13:40 - Hakone Open Air Museum
16:40 - arrival at Hakone-Yumoto by Hakone Tozan Train (train not operating)
17:00 - Hakone Yuryo
20:00 - Hakone-Yumoto and travelling back to Tokyo

Thank you in advance for the help!
by Sarachiel  

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/23 08:06
9:47 - acquisition of Hakone Free Pass and taking Odakyu Ltd Exp Hakone to Hakone-Yumoto

The sale of the Hakone Free Pass is currently suspended, and it is unclear whether it is back on sale on 11/5.

Also, I don't see a 9:47 departure, so I don't think you would be able to get to Yumoto by 10:04. Note also that taking the limited express will cost you an additional 200 yen supplement, as opposed to taking a local train. You could also consider catching the bus to Motohakone from Odawara (I haven't checked the schedules).

12:20 - Hakone Ropeway to Sounzan Station (ropeway not operating due to volcanic activity)
13:10 - Hakone Tozan Cable Car to Gora Station

Note that the substitute buses for the ropeway are not currently running. It is difficult to predict whether they will be back in service by 11/5. There is also a small chance that the ropeway may resume service by 11/5. So, I recommend to keep yourself up-to-date.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/23 09:03
Maybe some more of the buses will be running by the 5th, but currently most of your planned schedule simply isn't possible.
Even the link between Gora and Hakone-Yumoto is severely restricted with just two buses per hour and you have that for your art museum visit.
As far as I know from the website (published information), the status boards at Hakone and the actual buses running this week, the "H" line isn't running, but the "K" line and is. Lines "R" and "T" also running.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/23 21:28
Hi and thanks for the answers!

Well, I've checked the timetable long time ago. Would take 10:01 -> 10:13 ODAKYU LTD. EXP. HAKONE 7.

But from what you have wrote, it will be difficult to complete the itinerary at reasonable time. Also, not being able to buy Hakone Free Pass will result in longer time at acquisition of every ticket needed.

What was most important to us to do in Hakone, was private Onsen (Hakone Yuryo, which probably will be open) and possibility to see Fuji-san from Sounzan Station observation deck. Cruising at the lake and seeing Hakone Open Air Museum would be also nice, but we can skip those, especially the later one.

From https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html I see, that there is possibility to get to the lake from Hakone Yumoto. The ships are operating. From Togendai we should be able to get the bus to Gora, go down to Sounzan, go up to Gora and take a bus to Hakone Yumoto. Will it be doable? I know, that it will take more time due to the low frequency of the buses, but we will skip the Museum which will free around 2 hours for us - shall be enough? However if the weather would be bad (rainy/foggy), then we would probably skip the Sounzan observation of Fuji-san and just go to onsen near Hakone Yumoto.

Thanks again for the answers!
by Sarachiel rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/23 23:27
Regarding buying single tickets: I remember when I went, not eligible for Hakone Free Pass, I just used my Pasmo card. (Or Suica OR any other IC card)

Seeing mt Fuji is never a sure thing. So o hope that only onsen will be valuable for you. Otherwise maybe you can find an other place with less travel restrictions where you can have a nice onsen experience while you are in Japan? Just an idea.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/24 08:43
Sounzan is not a Fuji viewing spot - from the lake or Moto-Hakone maybe. getting tickets is not an issue - pay on-board with SUICA/PASMO. Note the bus Gora to Hakone-Yumoto is Y610, but you can buy the train ticket for the same bus (replacement) and it is only Y410.
Yesterday was clear skies most of the morning and Fuji does have a nice coating on snow - viewed from Tokyo while out running.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/25 06:25
And indeed, the ropeway will resume service along its entire length from tomorrow!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/28 19:32
If the rope line is not in action, does that mean we also cannot visit Owakudani due to safety reasons?

Also, if all are back in action, how long is the trip starting from Tonosawa (one station after Yumoto) station to Gora, hen rope line to Owakudani then down to the lake, take the pirate ship for a quick tour .... then all the way back (Ifm assuming the same way back ... ropeline through Owakudani to Gora then Tonosawa?

Has anyone done it and in what total time for all?
by Sunnsunn88 rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone 1-day itinerary post Hagibis 2019/10/30 17:22
The Hakone Freepass is being sold again. You can also purchase from any 7-11. On your way back from the Outdoor Museum you can get off at the Tonosawa Bus Stop and walk to Yuryo Onsen....it is easier and you dont have to go all the way back to Yumoto. There is decent information on their website https://www.hakone-japan.com and their facebook page answers any direct questions https://www.facebook.com/HakoneTravel/
by Momokintaro rate this post as useful

reply to this thread