Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/23 23:49
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo for the Olympic games next year and because accommodation is quite expensive in Tokyo during this time , I've been looking for alternatives. For those in the know , do you think Shizuoka is easily commutable on a daily basis? I would intend to travel 8 days in an out of Tokyo for the 12 I'm going to be there for. Thank you.
by ClintDavis  

Re: Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/24 10:33
It very much depends on where in Shizuoka you base yourself in. Shizuoka is well served by shinkansen but it is expensive (I just went to Kakegawa last weekend and it was 8000 Yen one way). The local trains are half the price but it more than doubles the journey time - in my case it was 100mn v. 410mn.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/24 10:48
61 minutes by Shinkansen from Shizuoka station to Tokyo Station is definitely doable and tolerable for most people. I havenft done the math, but I assume you have, and is the cost of transportation plus room in Shizuoka less than those in Tokyo? My concern would be not having a room nearby to take a break in the middle of a day, if you wanted to. And can you not get a similar or better deal closer to Tokyo (like Odawara or Atami, both are also served by Shinkansen)?
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/24 14:49
Transport cost might be able to be covered by a 7 day JR pass. Nozomi trains donft stop anyway at Shizuoka (as far as I know) so that should make the maths.
However you should stay somewhere close to Shizuoka station or at least some train station that offers easy access to Shizuoka station.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/25 09:06
While Shizuoka station might only be an hour from Tokyo station, you do need to consider where you are going once you get to Tokyo (that can add a lot), and also distance of your hotel from Shizuoka station.
A smaller consideration would be possible crowding on the trains - while I would not anticipate the Olympics would see huge numbers travelling by shinkansen each morning/evening making getting seats difficult, there may be extra people doing the same thing you are from places like Osaka/Kyoto/Nagoya attending for a day or two.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Shizuoka to Tokyo 2019/10/25 11:40
Unless you have a number of places near your accommodations that you also want to see, I think you can do much better than so far away.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread