Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/24 00:27
Hi guys, I have a trip planned that I will be spending the first 3 days in tokyo, 1 day in hakone, 4 days in Osaka and the last night back in Tokyo.

Would it be feasible to get a JR pass for this itenery?

Thanks.
by woon young (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/24 10:26
No
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/24 10:32
I disagree. A Japan Rail Pass will cost roughly the same as regular tickets for this itinerary. If you add possibly some other side trips or airport access by JR, then the pass will become even a better value.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/24 10:39
My more detailed itenery will be:

Japan day 1: travelling around tokyo
Japan day 2: disneyland
Japan day 3: travelling around tokyo (activate JR pass)
Japan day 4: take train and then bus to lake kawaguchiko , sightseeing around mt fuji
Japan day 5: take ropeway, head to osaka in the afternoon via bus+train
Japan day 6: travel around osaka
Japan day 7: travel to Nara/ Kyoto. Either 1
Japan day 8: travel around osaka
Japan day 9: head back to tokyo (JR pass ends here)
Japan day 10: fly from narita airport

Would it make sense to use JR pass? Was considering whether to get the green pass or the ordinary ones..depending whether its "worth it".
by Woon Young (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/24 13:49
If you do decide to get the 7 day, do not activate it until you depart for Osaka. That way you will still a valid pass to save you 3000 yen for a ride on the N'EX back to Narita airport.

The JR pass is not very useful for getting to Mt. Fuji area (just use Bus) and it does almost nothing for getting around Tokyo (you'll have to use subways which are not covered at all). It can save you maybe 3000 yen getting between Osaka, Kyoto and Nara, so that adds a little more value.

Assuming you get your round trip to Osaka, a trip to the airport and some short trips for Kyoto/Nara, then you are probably getting an OK value for it.

If you can't make use of the N'EX to get to Narita, then I might consider this discount Shinkansen ticket:

https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/PAS1J02131MKC/?typecd=TOU&des...

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/10/25 09:16
I second the point making the pass last until your return to Narita airport - better use than the day in Tokyo.
The discount voucher from Japanican doesn't work unless you add several hours getting back to Tokyo to use it. There are other discounted fares available (limited supply) that also lower the cost of travel Tokyo-Osaka for 11,200 yen one way.

End of the day, yes you can get a 7-day pass and it might save a little money, but not really that much.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/11/12 20:50
Hi Woon Young,

If I were you, I would check all my itinerary on Hyperdia to be completely sure that the Japan Rail Pass is what I really need. The JR Pass is basically for long-distance trips. For example, if you're at least traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto, then it pays off. But, as I said, Hyperdia will help you with that matter. In case you need it, here's a guide where you can see how it works: https://www.jrailpass.com/hyperdia
by Rob Johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/11/12 22:37
If it is just about to pay off, I would NOT go for a railpass.
Reason: you are restricted to non Nozomi trains. Which means the Shinkansen you can take between Tokyo and Osaka are heavily reduced. If the price is nearly the same I would go with single tickets, and this having the possibility to take Nozomi trains which are both faster and more frequent.

Just my opinion.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass for Tokyo-Hakone-Osaka-Tokyo? 2019/11/12 23:43
I will buy JR nation wide pass.because one way ticket is not appropriate for me.my visa is for Less days.but I want to get maximum travel.even airport to city in first day and Last day city to my departure point is included rail pass. And travel Tokyo to Osaka and to back Tokyo also included. So why I save few yen to buy one way ticket.
by Robin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread