Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/25 13:23
Are there any taxis waiting at this observatory for travel back to Sakurajima port? The island view bus comes back in one hour and it is overcrowded most of the times. I am traveling there on a Sunday on the second week of November so taxi is the best option.
by Evelyn (guest)  

Re: Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/25 17:32
At Yunohira obsevatory, therefs no taxis station. You need to take a taxi near the port and return by the same taxi. It costs about 4,000 yen, but I think the waiting time fee is not included. If you want to make the taxi wait, you will probably need to pay some more thousands yen.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/26 04:40
A taxi in your case is not the best option. In your case, renting a car would make the most sense, if you are up for it. There is a car rental place right by the ferry port.
https://youtu.be/LxDmLuq6ssI

I did the rather brisk one hour bus tour when I went there. If you just want to hang out up there for a while, then the tour is probably not want you want. The first stop of the tour at the Karasujima Lookout was so short that I ended up walking back there to get more shooting done after the tour. I didn't see any taxis at Yunohira, and I didn't expect any. Going there by taxi would be quite pricey indeed.
If you choose to rent a car, you can also go to the other side of the island, which the bus doesn't cover.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/26 06:27
Been once and wished I hired a car. I missed out on so much to see and had to keep to a tight schedule.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/26 11:42
I checked tripadvisor website and was surprised that many reviewers said the bus was very crowded, mainly by foreign tourists. I am a Kagoshiman so have driven to the Yunohira many times. The parking lot was always not so crowded...

If you will be staying in hostel-type accommodation and can find travel mates, you might be able to share a rental car which will be convenient. There are other nice places to go in Kagoshima If you have a car.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Yunohiro observatory in Sakurajima 2019/10/26 12:56
Thank you all for all the valuable information!
It has given me some idea on what to expect and it looks like I'll have to reconsider my options. Thanks again!
by Evelyn (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread