Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/25 15:40
I'm gonna be there for 15 days and I'm considering bringing 10 jars of hot sauce into Japan. Mostly for personal consumption and I'm thinking of sharing some with my friends. Would 10 Jars of sealed hot sauce (190 grams per jar) be allowed into Japan. Should I declare it to the customs ?
by aaron (guest)  

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/25 17:28
Why you bring 10 jars of sauce to Japan for personal use?
You like only hot sauce and no other food?

You can bring it as long there is no meet inside.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/26 15:51
If it's a commercial hot sauce there is often not a problem if it's properly sealed.

On the other hand - 10 bottles might raise some eyebrows and may cause some problems in customs.

Another thing to consider is what putting lots of hot sauce says to the chef if your eating at slightly nicer restaurants. I'd see if as similar as putting ketchup on a nice meal - specifically if you will consume up to 10 bottles in 15 days.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/26 17:19
It's generally prohibited to bring your own food into a restaurant and eat it there, not just being rude. Because the restaurant is responsible for hygiene and all that about food eaten. This is why Japanese restaurants don't let their customers take leftovers out. Yes, the sauce is also food as long as you put it in your mouth.
Forget about your sauce.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/26 21:20
I brought 5 bottle of sauce when I got back from my country, and I'm not being questioned. I'm not sure with 10 bottle though.
by justpassingthrough (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/27 18:17
Well I'm gonna be bringing 10 ro share with ym friends there. The sauce is only available in Indonesia and I'm sure plenty of my friends love to keep some.

What's will customs do if they don't want the items brought into the country ? Will they throw it away ? Am I gonna be fined for it ?

by aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/28 16:52
I do not think you will have issue, just write down the declaration form accordingly which you will receive during your flight.

I do not think it will be ceased by custom but they may ask about it.
Just inform custom your intention of the sauce and make sure there is no meet inside.

I see people bring so many different products in huge amount that custom can understand.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Can I bring hot sauce to Osaka 2019/10/30 13:03
.. (guest) wrote: "It's generally prohibited to bring your own food into a restaurant and eat it there"
@.. (guest)- No, from my experience it is not prohibited. I bring my own seven spice (chili powder) to yakiniku restaurants, and other restaurants because some restaurants do not even provide the basic spices at their restaurant like for example this one local mom and pop yakiniku doesn't provide any salt, pepper or seven spice at all, so I started bringing my own in my purse, after each use I just put it back in my purse, not displaying it on the table, but I have had no problem with waitors/waitresses saying anything, even though they seen me sprinkling my seven spice on my stuff before discreetly putting my spice back into my purse. Restaurants do not care and it is not prohibited.

Japan is not exactly a "spicy" paradise for us spicy food lovers so sometimes us spicy food lovers need to carry around hot sauce or spice powder to add to our food at the restaurant and there is nothing wrong with that as long as you don't keep the bottle sitting on the table while your eating, just put it in a bag when not in use and no waitor/waitress would care or say anything.
by hotandspicy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread