Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dependents of Permanent Resident 2019/11/1 20:16
I have just been granted permanent residency status, changing visa type from an Engineer visa. However, I'd like to know what happens now to my two dependents' visa status. Do I need to have them changed to "Dependent of a Permanent Resident"? Or should I just wait until their next visa renewal cycle?
by Gabriel (guest)  

Re: Dependents of Permanent Resident 2019/11/2 07:55
There is no "Dependent of Permanent Resident", there is "Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident", which is different. In particular, if you already have a child now, he or she is not eligible to it, because children are only eligible if the parent was a PR at the time of the child's birth. (The usual workaround is for the child to get "Long-term resident" status instead.)

In any case, when your status changes to PR, your dependents no longer satisfy the requirements for "Dependent" status, so they have three months to change their status to one for which they are eligible.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependents of Permanent Resident 2019/11/8 13:44
@Gabriel, it seems you recently got a Permanent residency in Japan. I have actually submitted my application waiting for the last 10 months for the outcome of my application. How long you had to wait for outcome of your application?

I followed up with the immigration office, they actually don't give any estimation, and just advise to wait. what is your experience regarding any follow-up? Any tips for a case like me.
by Ronie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependents of Permanent Resident 2019/11/8 16:36
@Anonymous Guest. Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate it. Cheers!
by Gabriel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dependents of Permanent Resident 2019/11/8 16:40
@Ronie. I had to wait for about 9 months until the result came out. There seems to be a lot of applicants in the queue, more than the previous years, maybe because of the recent easing of Japan visa grants. So I guess they've got their hands full right now. :| So I advise you to just wait until you receive the postcard. You'll get there, mate! :) Cheers!
by Gabriel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread