Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/4 18:55
We have purchased JR Takayama Hokuriku passes and we hope to be able to visit Shirakawa-go, Suganuma & Ainokuraguchi all within a day if time permits. We need to depart from Takayama and arrive at Kanazawa on the same day (on a weekday next week).

Would like some advice on the following itinerary:

Nohi Bus
Dep Takayama 7:50, Arr Shirakawa-go 8:50 (leave luggage at locker at bus station)
Dep Shirakawa-go 10:55, Arr Gokayamasuganuma 11:20 (leave luggage at locker at bus station)
Kaetsuno Bus
Dep Suganuma 12:16, Arr Ainokuraguchi 12:30 (any place to leave luggage? Else will leave it at Suganuma)
Dep Ainokuraguchi 14:38, Arr Suganuma 14:53
Nohi Bus
Dep Gokayamasuganuma 16:50, Arr Kanazawa 17:50

1. The above itinerary looks rather packed to me but I have also been told by some that the 3 villages are quite small.

2. Are there are places to leave our luggage at Ainokuraguchi? The itinerary is planned based on the lack of locker service at Ainokuraguchi. Or is it easy to just drag our fairly small luggage (22 inch on wheels) around Ainokuraguchi? If so, we could also travel here directly from Shirakawa-go on Kaetsuno Bus before going to Suganuma to cut short the travelling time.

3. Is the Kaetsuno Bus Stop & Nohi Bus Stop at Shirakawa-go at the same location?
Likewise, is the Kaetsuno Bus Stop & Nohi Bus Stop at Suganuma the same locations

Any other suggestion on the itinerary would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
by Fraggle (guest)  

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/4 20:40
I think itfs too much if essentially the same. This 3 villages are quite similar. I have only been to Gokayama and Ainokura, but heat that Shirakawago is the most touristy off the 3. This i would drop Shirakawago completely.

For your luggage, from this link it seems that there are 8 lockers. That might not be sufficient. And dragging your luggage through the village is not going to be fun.

https://solaniwa.net/ainokura-4/

Have you considered luggage forwarding service, such as Kuroneko? Youfd probably need to ship out the previous day, but you could just remain with things for one night in a light backpack.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/4 20:46
Just go to one of the Gokayama ones as it will give you the opportunity to experience it properly and as PP said, they are essentially the same. Shirakawago is very touristy. I recommend Ainokura. It's wonderful.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/5 06:12
Shirakawago has tidal waves of day tripping tourists in the afternoon. It's also the biggest of the 3 places mentioned. If that matters to you, Gokayama would be a better choice.
The village overlook at Shirakawago is very nice though. And the Gassho Folk Museum was largely free of the mobs and relaxing.
https://youtu.be/lvtACNNuLUs
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/5 15:53
Thank you everyone for your feedback. As we are hoping to make use of our Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass, am I correct that the most direct way / only way to get to Ainokura is from Shirakawa on the Kaetsuno Bus? I am fine visiting Shirakawa first since we have never been there before. However, the frequency of the bus to and from Ainokura to Shirakawa seems to make it difficult to visit Ainokura on the same day. We need to get back to Shirakawa to catch another bus to Kanazawa at the end of the day.

Is there another way to get to Ainokura from Takayama using the Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass? Otherwise, we may just take do Takayama – Shirakawa – Gokayamasuganuma – Kanazawa for the day.
by Fraggle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/19 18:18
Hi Fraggle, just want to ask if you can reserve seats online using Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass?
by Boo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/20 01:09
Hi Boo,
I didn't reserve the seats online as it is indicated in their website that you can only do so through phone for those holding this pass. I reserved the seats at the Nohi Bus Station at Takayama upon arrival and travelled to Shirakawa the day after as planned. There were signs showing that the seats for the next day were fully booked though.
by Fraggle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawa, Suganuma & Ainokura in one day 2019/11/25 19:28
I plan to take the World Heritage Kaetsuno Bus from Shin-Takaoka to Sunaguma and then Shirakawago.
Does this bus has luggage compartment ?
by Henry (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread