Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/6 10:39
I'm planning to go Sapporo on 4th Dec onwards with another friend's families. We wanted to know when Sapporo start snowing this year. Our Kids wanted to play ski and snow and we worried the snow either haven't started or not thick enough for them to play around with.
by Catherine Foo (guest)  

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/7 06:22
It usually starts snowing from around late November. And snow can ususally be found in Sapporo from around December; however, depending from year to year, there may still some periods without snow on the ground. The mountains surrounding Sapporo usually get snow a little bit earlier than the city center.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/7 06:24
I would look at the ski resort websites. Most of them should have opening dates for this season.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 00:31
Thanks for the feedback, Uji. Will there be rain in winter?
I'll be going to Niseko too and Furano for ski too.
by Catherine Foo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 08:08
Will there be rain in winter?

It occasionally happens in the lower elevations.

I'll be going to Niseko too and Furano for ski too

This is how it looks in Niseko now:
http://www.grand-hirafu.jp/global/livecam/yotei.html
(right now it looks green, but snow is forecast for the afternoon)

Early December can be risky, but from around mid December onwards there is usually enough snow in the ski resorts. It varies year by year.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 11:23
I revise my earlier statement about the Hokkaido ski resorts. I think it is safe to say that the ski resorts, such as Niseko and Furano, will almost certainly have snow by early December.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 11:35
Thanks Uji for sharing the live camera view of Niseko. I can check again upon nearer to date to see the live view there.
By the way, previously I have a friends that told me that when her family went to Hokkaido, some came back with injury and the road is too slippery and they fell down. I think is probably to icy to walk. Must we all wear those spike shoes grip on our shoes when we walk around during winter? if we walk into building or train stations areas, we need to remove the shoes grip and only wear it when we go on the streets?? I was thinking it would be troublesome to wear and remove and wear and remove especially for kids.
Please share your point of view on this yah.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 11:44
Sapporo's streets can be very slippery. I myself slipped and fell before, but didn't hurt myself. These anti-slip devices are handy. I recommend them to tourists especially those unfamiliar with winter conditions. I never used them myself, but I understand they are relatively easy to take on an off.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 15:27
Was the anti-slip grip easily find in Sapporo if were to go there to buy?
My friend wanted to know if there going to be very windy during winter? As currently she and her kids does not have those windproof pants. But i encourage them to get one since last year when I'm at Tokyo, it was pretty cold and windy and my legs was very cold once the wind blow when i'm not wearing any windproof pants.
She was planning if it is too cold or windy, maybe she try to buy it from Sapporo itself but my concern was would it be difficult to find when you need one since our itinerary is very pack with places to visit over our stays. Would it be easily find along the streets if we need to buy those pants especially for their kids.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 15:32
Was the anti-slip grip easily find in Sapporo if were to go there to buy?

I noticed them being sold at convenience stores.

My friend wanted to know if there going to be very windy during winter?

There may be some very windy days, but usually it is not very windy. It can be very cold, though, whether it is windy or not. Make sure to bring enough layers to put on.

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 18:01
Uji, do you know where in Sapporo that I can find dried seafood which I can buy and bring home? I'm looking for dried scallop for cooking. Can i find it at any of those markets ?

Re: When Sapporo start snowing? 2019/11/8 18:34
Sorry, can't help you with that. They are widely available, but I am not sure where are the best places to purchase them.

reply to this thread