Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/8 20:45
Hello,

Me and my wife (both in our early thirties) are in Tokyo December 3rd - 7th. We've been to Tokyo two times before. The first time we stayed in Shibuya and Akihabara, the second time again in Shibuya. This time were looking for a different area to stay in, but we're having a little trouble choose.

We've seen pretty much most of the typical tourist attractions, so it's not about being close to a certain temple, tower, etc. But more about the atmosphere of the area. Do you have some recommendations that are maybe a little less 'in your face' than Shibuya and Shinjuku for example?

Thanks
by RLCL  

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/9 09:58
I think I read somewhere that the locals say the best place in Tokyo to live is Yokohama.

I like Yokohama very much, having spent a couple of months there last year. It's a lively city, and in striking distance of a lot of good tourist attractions. If you stay near the station you'll see a busy city, if you stay by the bay you'll get a bit more of that feeling.

In Tokyo we often stay in the area around Hamamatsucho and Daimon Stations-it's easy to find plenty to eat and enjoy the local gardens and parks, and is lest touristy than the other spots you mention. Those stations link to a lot of lines so you can get around easily from there.

Have a wonderful time in Japan.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/9 10:45
The first time we visited which would be well over 10 years ago now we stayed at Shiba Park Hotel which was actually nice, and in a nice area near zozoji (or yoyoji, cant remember) and Tokyo Tower.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/9 20:37
I personally like the area around Shinbashi for all its drunken business men at night. I know how this sounds, but I like that atmosphere.

Otherwise I also like the area of Shimokitazawa and actually lived there before. But itfs not as central as Shinbashi.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/10 05:06
You will need to clarify what you mean by gatmosphereh - what kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Wherever you decide, you want to be near a train/subway station, because you will likely be riding trains everyday.

If you want something rural, but still within Tokyo, try western part of Tokyo prefecture. Like: Takao, Ome, Okutama (thatfs really into mountains), etc.
by kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/10 05:21
Try Yanaka / Ueno / Asakusa.
by tt7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/10 05:59
Thanks for all the replies. These are some great options. As for what I meant by "atmosphere": maybe a little bit less flashy and busy than Shibuya.
by RLCL rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/10 07:23
Maronouchi area (Tokyo station surrounds) can be quite pleasant. There are some nice restaurants that are indoor/outdoor, a couple of leafy streets, and the Imperial Palace. I like it a lot better at night than Shibuya/Shinjuku, but during the day it is maybe not as interesting.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/10 13:55
Areas like Osaki and Kichijoji have a nice balance of commercial and residential, and a lot less touristic. Try Google-Street-Viewing.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/11 10:33
I have friends that like staying in Asakusa, but the number of people can be off-putting.
Some of the stations on the Chuo line to the west of the city provide good access and different atmosphere - Mitaka and Kichioji.
To the south you could stay in Yokohama (Sakuragicho or Kanai as examples I like and have used before), but the Kawasaki station area has quite a different vibe, and a selection of well priced hotels - not too many flashy high-star places.
Akasaka has good subway connections to other parts of the city and prices for good hotels is a bit lower than Shinjuku/Shibuya. Lots of restaurants/eating options - I've stayed there often in the past.

Many many options.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/11 14:05
I will echo Yanaka. I stayed there for a week last time and it really felt like I was living in a Japanese residential neighborhood, with a short quiet walk to and from the train station every day.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/11 17:04
100% Yanaka. It's always my "go to".
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay (but not the obvious areas) 2019/11/11 19:15
If you stay near Ueno, you can go to Ameyayokocho. Plenty of things to buy and eat at affordable prices.
The market also allows you to buy fresh produce to cook your own meals.
by vinnie123 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread