Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/9 09:39
Hello!

I was thinking of buying a house in Japan in the next 2-3 years, and I was wondering if there was any way to get a visa when buying a house in Japan.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I work from home (on the internet) and earn monthly between 2000 and 3000 dollars. Would it be possible to establish my work in Japan to obtain a visa? (Maybe establishing it in the house I plan to buy?)

Last question: Could I use the 90-day tourist visa and when it expires, return to Japan 2 months later? (living in the house I mentioned before)

Thanks!
by Flexever  

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/9 12:41
No, buying a house won't get you a visa.
You need a valid reason to reside in Japan, diplomat, student, spouse of Japanese, spouse of employed foreign resident etc...House buyer? not happening!

There are several categories of visa in Japan and none is for house buyers or girlfriend/boyfriend or fans of Japanese culture for example. Honestly, I don't see this happening in the future because it will turn the country into a Chinese province because a lot of them are actually buying houses in Japan as an investment or as a second house for vacations, giving resident visa for house buyers would just open the Pandora box.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/9 21:45
So if I buy a house in Japan, can't I use it to establish my work there?

About the tourist visa, I know that the maximum time is 90 days, but could I back again to Japan 2-3 months later? or I need wait more time?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I have been informing myself about Japan for several years and sincerely it is a country that I love and I would like to spend more time in there. Or even be able to live there in the future if is possible.
by Flexever rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/9 22:55
Look at the official website: http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/

Another thing to remember is that Japan has a reasonably mature job market which means that often many jobs can be filled by locals, including jobs with international companies. As such - Japan often looks for 'high quality talent' and it's slowly opening up to low skill labor due to an aging population.

Like many western countries - Japan will ask what you can offer? If it's just a job that can be completed anywhere - that's going to make things difficult. Buying property, opening bank accounts and services often needs an ARC, which is not something a tourist visa can easily get you.

Also a tourist visa is meant for tourism - not for visa runs. These questions are best directed towards an immigration lawyer who has specialization in Japanese law.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 01:33
I have my own job since a few years and I have the money to buy a house. But I have no idea how I can get to live in Japan despite having the "necessary".

If having money and my own job is not enough .. what I can do to live in Japan?

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 01:39
Another thing to remember is that Japan has a reasonably mature job market which means that often many jobs can be filled by locals, including jobs with international companies.

Argh, will people here never stop with this nonsense? There are almost 1.5 job openings in Japan for every applicant.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 01:42
If having money and my own job is not enough .. what I can do to live in Japan?

Just having "a job" is not enough; you need a job with a Japan-based organisation and in a field for which "work visas" are issued.

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 01:53
In short, I have to get a job in Japan to live in Japan.

Thanks for answers!

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 04:15
Most countries donft let people move there just because they want to. It simply doesnft work that way.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 07:58
Buying a house does not get you a visa, as mentioned above.
You could buy a house and dedicate some of it for a business, and set up a Japanese company (difficult) and work for that company. There are other requirements for establishing a company (like employing staff and having a Japanese representative) and then applying for a business manager category visa (also difficult).
Your work seems to be non-Japanese (so even if located in Japan you are not "working in Japan" - an important distinction) so you can visit Japan on a temporary visitor permit under the visa waiver programme if you are from a country that supports it (it is not a "tourist" visa) and spend most of the year in Japan. Note that staying more than 183 days in a 12 month period will subject you to taxation locally and also in your home country so get some advise about double taxation and tax treaties.
There is nothing to prevent you visiting multiple times a year, continuing your work and staying longer than six months per year if you have legitimate reasons for doing so.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 11:02
RE: ....

"Another thing to remember is that Japan has a reasonably mature job market which means that often many jobs can be filled by locals, including jobs with international companies. As such - Japan often looks for 'high quality talent' and it's slowly opening up to low skill labor due to an aging population"

I have worked with a Japanese International School and still have many contacts with guidance teachers who help students pain for their employment later in life. There are a large number of low and medium skill jobs available - but the more highly sought after jobs most of the time are filled by locals due to lower costs and a more likelihood of staying in the job. I know that my comment was a bit more low resolution than it should have been - but I was more focused on the type of jobs a person who already has the skills to work remotely may have to offer Japan.

Apologies for highjacking this thread - this will be my last post on this thread.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/10 11:37
Hi Flexever,

Okay, we've established that you can't get a visa simply by buying a Japanese house, but there are other ways you can get a visa without finding a Japanese company to hire you and help you get a work visa.
I've listed some options that would probably be easiest to get a visa for.

Business Visa - You'll need a physical, dedicated work place in Japan. Houses typically won't be accepted a as a business address. You must also have a minimum of 5 million yen (about 50,000 dollars) and hire at least 2 employees. Buying a farm doesn't count.

Artist Visa. You must be able to show that you can support yourself through your artistic ability while in Japan, such as making and selling paintings, sculptures or be able to write a book.

Student Visa. Pretty straightforward. But in order to get into a higher learning institution you're going to need to be proficient in Japanese and kanji.

Cultural visa. This is a visa for self enrichment in culture, such as enrolling in a Japanese language school Probably the easiest route. And I believe you're also allowed to get a part time job there.

Hope this helps!
Stevie's Little World.
by Stevie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 00:44
Hope this helps!

"Hope this helps" is code for "I have no idea what I'm talking about but here are some random thoughts I've extracted from my brain. If any of it happens to be correct you can feel free to thank me, but I'm not making any promises!"

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 02:52
For what I can see, there is no problem traveling to Japan, stay 6 months and back again to my country (Spain) right?

so I can buy a house and stay the 6 months living in my house with a tourist visa.

If I'm wrong please correct me. Anyways tomorrow I will call the Japanese embassy of my country for more and better information.

Thanks for all answers!

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 05:17
to "guest"

Replying rudely to other people's post is code for "I'm a very, rude and person and I hate the fact that I have nothing meaningful to offer to anyone and no knowledge of anything.

Hope this helps!
by Stevies Little World rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 05:19
"rude and angry person"

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 05:19
Flexever,

It's typically 90 days for the tourist visa.

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 05:27
"Hope this helps" is code for "I have no idea what I'm talking about but here are some random thoughts I've extracted from my brain. If any of it happens to be correct you can feel free to thank me, but I'm not making any promises!"

Replying to post on forums under the anonymity of "guest" is code for "I'm a cowardly troll who wants to attack people while in disguise, then I'll come back and sign in and pretend to be a good person when I'm over whatever it was that triggered my fragile little ego."
by Happytimesdoggy rate this post as useful

Re: Can I get a visa in Japan if I buy a house? 2019/11/11 10:07
Houses typically won't be accepted a as a business address.
Not entirely correct. The legal advice I received is that there are conditions to be met, and having a house/apartment as a business address is pretty common.
I pay for premises in Shinjuku - costs very little, but was easier for my business to have a separate permanent address and physical space to satisfy the conditions of the Business/Manager visa in my case.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread