Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/9 22:38
I am looking for a stool softener containing docusate (ドクサート
or ジオクチルスルホサクシネート in Japanese). I do not want a laxative which forces you to poo, just something to soften stool.

I have tried コーラック2 which contains docusate, but also acts as a laxative by forcing you to poo.

Is there any OTC medicine that only softens stool (without creating an urge to poo)?
by docusate (guest)  

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/10 08:28
What about dried sweet plums soaked in water?

https://badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/prunes-vs-p...

You should be able to find them in bigger supermarkets or at shops like Kaldi. And they taste nice as well.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/10 08:57
酸化マグネシウム, magnesium oxide.
if it works well, you should go to medical doctor. prescription is cheaper.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/10 09:37
@LikeBike
prunes definitely work for me but the effect isn't nearly as good as docusate. I tried a few weeks of prunes + lots of water and fiber and it reduced my time on the toilet by about half (2 hours a day instead of 4 hours a day).

However the effects of docusate were much more powerful in terms of stool softening.

@Ken
I would like to avoid magnesium because it is dangerous to take long-term, while docusate can be taken safely long-term.
by docusate (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/11 14:55

Yes, dry prunes taste delicious and perform miracle. You ought to try!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/13 02:32
Does umeboshi, dried or cooked, help your stomach the same way as prunes?
by UmeLover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Stool softener? (constipation) 2019/11/16 09:57
Have you ever used Metamucil, or Benefibre?. These are a soluble fibre that you make in to a drink, which expands and softens hard stools. You usually take a glass before retiring at night, which gives it time to pass through the system. It may take a glass or two through the following day for it to work through, if you have quite a problem.
Metamucil works on psyllium, and Benefibre uses wheat germ. Other brands are Miralax and Citrucel.
I'm sure at least one brand is available in Japan, as they are worldwide brands.
by Kersy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread