Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/11 13:16
I will be in Tokyo until mid of December, but I want to see snow!

I have checked the ski resort like Gala Yuzawa, they open from 14th December 2019. But I can not ski and it is quite expensive to rent the items. How about the other place? I heard that Nagano will be full of snow during that time, is that true?

Please give me any recommendations!!
by Shalahuddin Al Ayyubi (guest)  

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/11 16:24
Yes, Shiga Kogen, is a ski area with other snow activities a short distance from Nagano:
https://www.shigakogen-ski.com/en/

It looks like 12/7 is the opening festival.

Shiga Kogen is also quite close to the snow monkey park.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/11 16:43
okay great, how about other places which is not a ski resort? My main goal is to see snow and build a snow man since I am from tropical country!
by Shalahuddin Al Ayyubi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/11 17:02
I can't find the link now and I am exhausted but I am pretty sure one of the snow shoeing tours at Shiga Kogen offered people the chance to play in the snow and if you think you can build a snow man, you could do it. I think some of the children's areas also showed pictures of people building snow men. I do not know if you can go into one of the family/children's areas if you are without a child.

If that is not what you are after, I'm honestly perplexed in what you are expecting. When it snows in the city, they clean sidewalks and streets as soon as possible, because otherwise no one can get around. I don't think people who own houses want some random person in their yard building a snow man., I'm not Japanese, but I know I wouldn't want that

Depending on the size you want to make this snow man, you need a certain amount of depth and the right sort of snow. I say this as someone with a kid who has had to make snow men before. I'd also recommend bringing with you whatever you plan to use for the face because finding things in the snow to use can be hard because there is snow. You're also going to kill your back or get your pants cold and wet unless you are in ski pants or snow pants.

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/15 11:05
Okay thanks for the answer. After doing some calculation, I think gala yuzawa is cheaper since I can buy Tokyo Wide Pass. Therefore, what kind of equipment/clothes that I need to bring? What should I wear?

I know that I can rent the ski set and the jacket and pants but how about the other things? My friend told me that I have to buy ski socks, is that true?

This is my first time to see snow!
by Shalahuddinn rate this post as useful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/15 12:03
Hi!

I think Gala Yuzawa makes sense price wise. If you don't want to ski, look for snow shoeing or "family snow area", they will have non skiing snow options. I have been looking at tubing when I go to Japan in February. (while I am used to snow, we've never skied.)

So for clothes, you need good gloves, preferably water proof. You will be sad without gloves. I think a hat and scarf is also necessary particularly if you are not used to cold. I have never worn special socks just boots. If the snow is deep enough you want knee high boots. However a lot of my snow experience involves shoveling stupid amounts of snow from my driveway and sidewalk. I hope this is helpful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/16 00:58
Sounds like maybe you just need to find a public park with some open fields. Lots of open snow to roll the big balls for a snowman, unless the local kids beat you to it.

I donft have any specific recommendations, but just for snow play, kids In snowy areas go to the parks.
by Tw (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/16 02:01
For clothes, just bring something warm (layers), and waterproof, especially for your feet.
Wet cold feet = sadness
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: See snow on December around Tokyo? 2019/11/16 02:18
As rkold mentioned, do not be too disappointed if you can't build a snowman even when there is lots of snow on the ground. Cold dry snow will not form into a ball - you need warmer wet "packing snow" as we call it here in Canada (looking out my window right now at about 15 cm of snow!) And warm waterproof gloves or mittens are a must for this activity.
by Sue (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread