Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 01:37
Can a person have more than 1 suica card?
by Mark Lee (guest)  

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 06:49
You can have as many IC cards as you wish. But you must use the same card for getting into and out of stations on the same trip. You can't use, for example, your ICOCA to get into Shinjuku station and then use a SUICA to exit Shibuya Station on the same trip.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 06:51
Yes, no limit.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 06:56
As stated, you may own as many as you like.

However, when using the train/subway/bus to enter and exit, you must use the SAME card for entrance and exit, otherwise the system will error on your exit, as it will not know how to calculate the fare.

When using to purchase something, using any card with funds is okay.

Thanks.

Stan
by USC4Ever rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 07:39
Yes you can. But why would you? Multiple cards means multiple deposits and multiple refund fees.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 08:19
Even for personalised/registered cards you can have more than one.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 08:59
Yes you can. But why would you? Multiple cards means multiple deposits and multiple refund fees.

To have one in each purse you are using regularly
To have a backup in your wallet
To have one for visiting friends
To have a Suica on your phone and a separate card in case your phone runs out of battery

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 10:05
I had multiple Suica cards at one point, I think I still have 2 though one might have gotten lost in my move.

Why did I have so many? JR East use to have a promotion similar to the JR West one, where you got a super discounted NEX train fare and a pre-loaded Suica card. If you were using a JR Pass on your arrival day, the cost of the package was either the same or less than the cost of the one way on a NEX. They didn't offer just the discounted NEX fare only as part of the package. I kept two because I wanted both limited design cards, but I was not careful about my cards when I just moved and I think one along with several other possessions went missing.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 11:17
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/
It might be convenient to install Suica application than buying the card.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 11:53
With regards to the deposit of 500 yen, can this be fully utilised?
by Mark Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 13:19
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/
It might be convenient to install Suica application than buying the card.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 15:11
I think the most I had at once was 40 suica cards with about 5k on each one. But I dole them out to guests to use when travelling and they disappear over time. Also, I need spares for when people forget the one I give them, so usually I carry three or four. Have three on my desk atm down from 15 at the start of September.
Ones that I actually use concurrently - at one stage up to five, but usually I just carry one around for travel.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/12 15:49
The 500 yen is only in effect if you return it. When you get the card for 2000 yen, only 1500 of it is available for use. If you run out, you run out and must add more. The 500 is for refund only.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Can a person have more than 1 Suica card? 2019/11/13 03:27
Alternatively, get a Pasmo instead.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread