Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving Nagoya-Kagoshima in December 2019/11/13 15:53
Hello everyone
I am planning to drive from Nagoya to Kagoshima area this winter holidays Dec28 to Jan 3rd(2019) , kindly let me know
1) Is it worth driving all the way till Kagoshima
2) which is the best possible route without toll
3) Which are all the must see places on the way
4) Which place would be best in this trip to welcome new year where we can fireworks and party crowd
5) Weather report says snow wont be there in Kagoshima area , is snow tyres mandatory for this trip ?

Thank you
by Mrutyunjaya  

Re: Driving Nagoya-Kagoshima in December 2019/11/14 10:36

1) Is it worth driving all the way till Kagoshima
--> No. Take Shinkansen and get off from Shinkansen where you want to sightsee. Car in Japan makes sense when you go to remote places, but Nagoya Kagoshima are conected by Shinkansen. And you dont have that many days anyway to get off the beaten track and explore more rural places, if you want to sightsee between Nagoya and Kagoshima.
2) which is the best possible route without toll
--> Take a train, dont drive it by car.
3) Which are all the must see places on the way
--> There is no MUST see place. There are place YOU WANT to see. Please find out by yourself, e.g. by reading a guide book or this web page, what interests you. Once you have a basic idea what you want to see, we are happy to have you back on the forum with more specifci questions.
4) Which place would be best in this trip to welcome new year where we can fireworks and party crowd
--> Generally no fireworks and crowds in Japan for New Year. New Year is a family event, not a party. Japanese tradition has you go to a temple and then to go and see sunrise on 1st of January.
5) Weather report says snow wont be there in Kagoshima area , is snow tyres mandatory for this trip ?
--> Shinkansen doesn't use snow tyres ;-) If you use a car it will depend on your actual path. As said, Nagoya - Kagoshima on the coast does not make sense to do by car, but obviously if your plan is to do Nagoya - Takayama - Hirayu onsen - Tottori - Hachi Kogen - Yamaguchi- Kurokawa onsen- Takachiho-Kagoshima, the situation changes. (Note, I am NOT suggesting you to do this itinary.

Enjoy planning your trip!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving Nagoya-Kagoshima in December 2019/11/14 13:12
I drive this every year with my family.
It takes about 18hrs and there are many traffic jams on the way with only toilet breaks.
One way cost about 3man for toll fee

If you do not want to take toll road you will be a long time one the way which I do not recommend.
Japan is not really comfortable for driving long distance if you do not use the toll roads.
If you travel with many people and you have many luggage than maybe good but otherwise take the train.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Driving Nagoya-Kagoshima in December 2019/11/15 09:22
While the train isn't particularly cheap, taking a car is not cheap either. And with only a few days, you'll be sitting in traffic, not really seeing Japan. Get the train.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Driving Nagoya-Kagoshima in December 2019/11/15 09:40
Driving that distance would take you 13-14 hours, not accounting for traffic, and that is using the expressways. Are you aware it is just over 1000 km? And you want to do it without the toll roads? It would take you close to 3 days, and that is not including needing to sleep.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread