Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 03:57
Hi,
I'd like to ask about the most convenient way (rail pass) for my upcoming trip as follows:
27 Dec (at night): arrive in Osaka
28 Dec: Osaka (Universal Studio)
29 Dec: Kyoto-Osaka (return trip from Osaka)
30 Dec: Fuji Kawaguchiko
31 Dec: Half day in Fuji, then go to Tokyo
01 Jan: Tokyo
02 Jan: Tokyo Disneyland
03 Jan: Nagano-Yamanouchi-Tokyo (Matsumoto if possible)
04 Jan: Haneda

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
by Wiratno (guest)  

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 10:53
Your trip is inefficiently planned. I would suggest travelling to Nagano from Osaka via Nagoya, staying overnight, then visiting the snow monkeys and Matsumoto before heading to Tokyo. Then, visit Kawaguchiko as a day trip from Tokyo.

Your trip is very rushed. I would personally skip Nagano and one of the theme parks, and spend more time in Kansai and Tokyo. Nagano is a long way away from your other destinations, and the theme parks are not "Japan", so seeing two American theme parks when you only have a short time in the country seems like a waste of sightseeing opportunities.

Note that transport over the New Year's period can be very busy.

As for rail passes, you can easily work this out yourself. Check the prices using Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en), put them in a spreadsheet, then compare the total to the cost of rail passes. A comprehensive list of passes can be found in the Transport section of this website.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 13:08
No jr rail pass. Just localized bus/train passes.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 14:50
Actually I had put Nagano in the middle of my trip schedule, but my wife wants to celebrate new year's in Tokyo so I change the route. About the theme parks, I think I'll follow your suggestion. For transport/pass, I had checked all rail passes in this website as well and in conclusion I need to buy kansai pass, tokyo wide pass, and nagano pass, which seems very ineffective for a short trip, that's why I thought perhaps I could get another better options here. Anyway thank you for your response and suggestion.
by Wiratno (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 15:17
A singular rail pass isn't always the best option - sometimes a combination of smaller passes will provide better value. I'd also recommend checking websites such as Japanican, which offer discount shinkansen tickets for particular routes. Also consider package tours; I suspect there would be one available for visiting the snow monkeys from Tokyo.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/14 16:44
Wow, thank you for your recommendation.
by Wiratno (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which Rail Pass should I buy? 2019/11/15 05:36
I'm not sure how familiar the OP is with Japan, but New Year is mostly celebrated quietly with family, and a shrine visit in the early hours. The big street events and parties we're familiar with in the west are not something you see a lot of in Japan. So travelling to Tokyo (unless meeting friends or family there for an event they are organising) probably won't get you much bang for your travel buck.

Have a great time in Japan!
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread