Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

20 day trip, should we get Japan Rail Pass? 2019/11/14 13:49
Hello,

My friend and I will be traveling to Japan for the first time next year during March 24 to April 13, 2020 and we are not sure if a JR pass will be worth it. I've tried using JR pass calculators from different sites and some say it's worth it and some say it's not. So far the itinerary that we have is:

March
25-27 Tokyo (our hotel is Hotel Keihan Asakusa)
28 Hakone
29 Osaka
30 Osaka
31 Osaka (Universal Studios)

April
1 Osaka
2 Day trip to Kobe
3 Day trip to Kyoto
4 Day trip to Kyoto
5 Day trip to Nara & Uji
6 -12 Tokyo (we will be going to Disneyland for 2 or 3 days and a day trip to Yokohama) (staying at Hotel Keihan Asakusa)
13 Leave Japan to go home
*From March 29 to April 5th, we will be staying at an AirBnB in Shin-Osaka
** Airport is Narita

We are debating on whether to get a 14, 21 day pass or not getting one.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
by Shirley (guest)  

Re: 20 day trip, should we get Japan Rail Pass? 2019/11/14 15:55
Have you tried using the rail pass calculator on this website?

A 14-day JR Pass is unlikely to pay off. Look into a regional pass for the Kansai area instead, to cover the day trips from Osaka. There is a comprehensive list of rail passes in the Transportation section of this website.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 20 day trip, should we get Japan Rail Pass? 2019/11/14 22:57
Hello Shirley!

My recommendation is to check your complete itinerary on Hyperdia to be sure that the Japan Rail Pass is what you need. I say this because this pass only pays off if you are going to travel on long-distance trips around Japan. Maybe this source can help you, as it's explained step by step how to use this planning tool: https://www.jrailpass.com/hyperdia
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 20 day trip, should we get Japan Rail Pass? 2019/11/15 09:19
Really you have a basic Tokyo-Osaka round trip with a few cheap/minor side trips. For a round trip like that only the 7-day pass would be near consideration. For the extra 13k-14k of a 14-day pass you can do a lot of travel around the Kansai region (Kyoto, Kobe, Nara) and something like getting around Tokyo isn't going to justify a pass.
Without needing to check all of the Hyperdia suggestions, I wouldn't bother with any pass for that schedule.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread