Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/14 16:38
Hi, we will be flying into Narita on a Sunday at 1:30pm and plan on going directly to Nikko. I understand there is a bus that leaves at 2:40pm from T2 which we are hoping to take. However, assuming we miss this bus, then we plan on taking the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno, walk over to JR Ueno station, and take the train to Nikko with a transfer at Utsunomiya. Is this a good plan, or are there other options we should consider? We will have luggage with us (1 piece each) so would prefer to minimize transfers, and also traveling time. We will be purchasing train tickets individually (no JR pass). I know there is a direct train from Asakusa at 4pm but I can't tell if it is easier to get there from the airport than Ueno (and there seem to be more trains leaving from Ueno). Appreciate any advice - thanks!
by Tina (guest)  

Re: Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/15 08:03
Without a JR pass, the path from Ueno through Utsonomiya is a fairly expensive trip. But it is pretty straightforward.

How long will you be staying in Nikko and where will you go afterward? If you will be going back to Tokyo within 3 days, the JR Tokyo Wide Pass would probably pay off as it would cover your trip back to Tokyo. You'd want to take the N'EX train to Tokyo Station and then take the same Shinkansen to Utsonomiya as above if using that pass.
by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/15 08:46
There is a later bus to Uchinomiya station:

https://www.kantobus.co.jp/airport/maronie01.html

If you want to have less transfers. Unfortunately there doesnft seem to be a later bus to Animo itself.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/15 09:08
We will be returning to Tokyo after two nights so the JR Tokyo Wide pass may be a good option. I wasn't aware of the bus to Utsunomiya - I'll look into that as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
by Tina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/15 09:15
With two nights in Nikko I would get the 3-day Tokyo Wide Pass and get the train - pretty easy/comfortable and the two transfers are not that difficult. You'll save a reasonable amount on the round trip.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Narita to Nikko - Sunday afternoon 2019/11/15 10:31
If you are going to Toshogu Shrine, please go to "Taiyu-in" in the back of Futarasan Shrine

https://youtu.be/t5O5SC4xuo0
by deepjapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread