Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/17 22:50
Hello i am kind of new to university admissions in Japan and i had a late start in life due to circumstances in my home country. I am in my mid 20s (i know that this is negative in Japan due to age discrimination). But my main issue is that almost every university that i checked in Japan has very stressful and competitive admission procedures and the acceptance percentages are very low, especially for international students they take barely ten each year. Also they ask for too many stuff that feels like applying for a high company job rather than a school, such as interviews, letters of recommendation, subject scores etc. I mean how is someone supposed to send physical letters to every application, the professors that have to write them would be pissed especially if they cant understand english (when it comes to professors from non-english speaking countries), and i dont even live near my old school anymore so there is no way to obtain such things. It feels like the whole admission system there is really aggresive and unfriendly.

I am not saying that in other countries there are no hard universities but there are always some universities with 100% acceptance rate, however in Japan this does not exist, all of them that i found have very low acceptance rates, with the highest being between 30%-40% and they ask for a lot more things than universities in other countries. I wonder if there is any even relatively easy to enter, would prefer if it had any technlogy related degrees but even if not i dont mind, i just want to know if any easy exists at all in Japan.
by Gohan Super Saiyan Linguistics Instinct (guest)  

Re: Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/18 10:54
uthe acceptance percentages are very low, especially for international students they take barely ten each year.v
I don't know where you heard that Japanese colleges "barely take ten international students each year," but that statistic is wrong.

u they ask for too many stuff that feels like applying for a high company job rather than a schoolv
No, they don't ask for too much stuff. If they were asking for too much stuff, either people would stop applying for admission to universities in Japan, or Japan would be facing an educational crisis because not enough people in the country could get into college. Neither of those things have happened, so I think you're mixing up "Japanese colleges ask for too much stuff" and "I don't want to give Japanese colleges enough stuff."

uhow is someone supposed to send physical letters to every applicationv
Through the mail. You put the piece of paper in an envelope, write the address of the place you want the envelope to go, and pay the postage. If you need more help than that, ask your local post office.

uthe professors that have to write them would be pissed especially if they cant understand english (when it comes to professors from non-english speaking countries)v
If you're sending a letter of recommendation to the admissions office of a Japanese college, the letter should be in Japanese. It's not the school's job to decipher foreign language documents. If you can't translate the letter on your own, odds are you don't have the Japanese language skills to attend classes that are taught in Japanese.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/18 14:37
Actually it is pretty well known that Japanese universities are the most selective in the world, most Japanese people who are affiliated with academics go to vocational schools and special training institutes instead of universities because its more profitable for them. Also the international programs in Japan are more like an experimental thing and the positions are very limited, especially in the english taught programss, this is why they take only a small amount of people.
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/18 16:57
universities are higher education. they are not open for all persons. that is universal all over the world.
when all persons in your country can enter university, why do you want to come to far east merely to enter university ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/18 17:53
First of all, being in your mid 20s upon entrance to universities is not "negative in Japan due to age discrimination". Most universities even offer tests for those who wish to come back to school after enjoying a career, and there are also a fair number of students who "had a late start in life". So, you won't really stand out as much as you think, moreover will your age be a disadvantage upon entrance exams and interviews as far as universities are concerned.

And acceptance rate is not exactly the same thing as entrance difficulty. A lot of applicants apply "just in case" or "take chances". If you have the proper academic skills suitable enough for each university or its division (and know the trick to do well in tests), you are likely to pass. Nowadays, they also have various kinds of tests you can choose from.

As for letters from the school you last graduated, those are not necessary if you cannot obtain them. Ask each university for details on alternatives. As for application procedures, you can do a lot of that on-line.

Back to your question, there are indeed universities with much more easier tests than others. Some are even sarcastically so-called "F-rank", because they're so easy. But as the other poster said, it's often better for your future to go to vocational colleges (senmongakko) rather than the "F-rank" universities. Vocational colleges are easier to enter than most universities, but the work after you enter can be hard enough to get you ready for your career.

Meanwhile, if you happen to be looking for a university you can study in English, I'm afraid I don't have any first-hand knowledge on that.

If you're in Japan, why not visit one of the many Open Campus being held annually during this season, so that you could inquire directly?
https://school.js88.com/opencampus/list?type=2
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Do colleges with easy entrance exist in Japan 2019/11/19 09:28
100 people apply to 10 universities and all get in. That could be a 10% acceptance rate if everyone did 10 applications, or 100% if they all did one. You are confusing statistics with the reality.

If you are finding the admissions procedure difficult, how will you actually find the course of study. Or even the daily living in Japan. People locally don't whinge about the procedure, they get on and do it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread