Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 14:46
Hi,
this is our first visit to Japan. We got a 7 day JR pass, and will be staying in a htel near kaihimakuhari (2 Chome-3 Hibino, Mihama Ward, Chiba)
We have a day trip planned for Kyoto, and need to be in Kyoto by 8AM.
Can someone please suggest how we can reach Kyoto, and what would be the easiest and effective way yo reach Kyoto, and how we use our JR pass to ravel from Haihimmakuhari to Tokyo station.
Also what is the earliest Shinkansen we can take, or do we need to leave the day before?
Please suggest.
Thanks in advance.
by Tamanna (guest)  

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 16:39
Probably not the best solution, but i recommend to skip the night at Kaihinmakuhari; use some of the latest shinkansen departures and stay at Kyoto instead.

Should you want to stay at Kaihinmakuhari - using the JR Pass means, that you have to use Hikari or Kodama train. To reach Kyoto Station - that means, you have to be at Tokyo Station no late than 6AM. Travelling with local Rapid train from Kaihinmakuhari to Tokyo station will also take something between 30-45 minutes. Walking from Keiyo platform to JR Central gate to the correct platform - without any luggage and with good fitness level - at least 5 minutes (if you run). Walking - that is about 15 minutes. If you plan to carry as much luggage that is allowed for a typical traveller using the economy class at normal airline (a la 8 kg + 20 kg) and are not in good physical shape - then it will take at least 30-45 minutes. 2018 i had a hotel with 9 nights near the Shiomi station - so i basically had to use the route between main platform and Keiyo platform over 10 times and two of them were with luggage from NEX platform. Without luggage - nothing special although somewhat boring, but with luggage, wife (with luggage) and 6 year old daughter - that is already kind of expedition :-).

The first train from Kaihinmakuhari -> Tokyo probably departs around 5:30, maybe even later.

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 16:59
We have a day trip planned for Kyoto, and need to be in Kyoto by 8AM.

If you really mean Kyoto (not Tokyo), it is impossible. It will take 4+ hours from Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto with JR pass.

https://world.jorudan.co.jp/mln/en/japan-rail-pass/?p=0&xpd=1&from=Kai...

As you see, earliest train departs Kaihimmakuhari at 5:02, which will take 36 min to Tokyo. After Tokyo, your are allowed to take slower Hikari as suggested, and as Jorudan suggests, it will take 20 min transfer at Tokyo station (Keiyo line to Shinkansen).

Also what is the earliest Shinkansen we can take, or do we need to leave the day before?

Earliest Shinkansen train is Hikari No.501 departing at 6:26. In Kyoto you will need to take train/subway to your destinations such as Kinkakuji, Arashiyama or Kiyomizudera. Of course it will be easier to start from Kyoto station. What is your overall itinerary?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 17:33
Thank you so much for your response. :)
Can you please tell me when is the last Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto.
Based on your response I think it will be best to reach Kyoto the day before.
by Tamanna Purkait (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 17:48
Can you please tell me when is the last Hikari from Tokyo to Kyoto.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_node=...

20:03 Hikari 533.

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/18 17:58
Thanks for the information.

We have booked a day trip in Kyoto, which will cover the major places in kyoto. We booked a day trip package through a travel agency.
As per schedule we need to be at kyoto Avanti store(near kyoto station) by 8:20am.
Based on your response I think it will be better if we travel the night before and stay in kyoto.
Thanks for the information. It really helped. :)
by Tamanna Purkait (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/19 07:45
As Lauriandres wrote, it will take long to transfer from Keiyo line to Shinkansen at Tokyo Station. Keiyo line's Tokyo Station is in a very deep layer of the station, and a bit far from the Shinkansen Tokyo Station so you must use three escalators, then three "moving walkways" and then one escalator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQ3lE2Nf5Y

This video shows how to get, and it took 8 min. As this video shows, follow the overhead signboard to keep your right way to the Shinkansen. Jorudan (a train schedule site) took 20 min to transfer, but I guess you are quite strangers there so I would add another 20 min. So arrive Tokyo Station with Keiyo line at 7:20 to catch 8:03 Hikari. Good luck, and enjoy your travel in Japan!

Re: Kaihimmakuhari to Kyoto (early morning route) 2019/11/19 08:13
On Sundays (or Monday if it's a holiday) there is an additional Hikari (no. 535) at 20:33.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread