Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

February weather, snow? 2019/11/19 15:14
Hi there guys!

I am travelling to Japan from 31st of Jan to 18th of Feb 2020 and was wondering what the weather is like during this time. We will be travelling from Tokyo-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Osaka-Nagoya and then back to Tokyo!

Is there any chance of snow during this time? What can we expect temp wise?

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :)

by CLAIREVICE  

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/19 17:15
There are great website which you can see the weather forecasts or past
https://www.accuweather.com/

Tokyo - Not often
Kanazawa - Not often (close to the sea)
Kyoto - Can snow
Osaka - Not often
Nagoya - Not often

Of course there will be always possible that it snows but in those areas not much.
The temperature in February is around 6 degrees depending the location.

If you go from Tokyo - Kanazawa - Kyoto you can see snow on the way perhaps.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/20 04:10
Not often in Kanazawa?? It snowed most days when I went in late December!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/20 06:51
Hello - now I live in Japan but in the past traveled here quite often in January. Kyoto gets colder than Tokyo for sure. The main thing is that the transportation may at times get disrupted due to the weather conditions. This happened to me once when I was traveling from Kanazawa to Kyoto. So I would suggest that you do not plan a big train/bus trip on the same day of your international flight out of Japan. I have never experienced snow in Kyoto (wish I had) but saw it both in Tokyo and Kanazawa once in January. Enjoy your trip - I have always enjoyed the calmer vibe of January (along with cheaper hotel rates!).
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/20 07:22
Japan Meteorological Agency has comprehensive weather stats site.

http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/index.php

This site shows the number of gsnowy days (with snowfall)h for each place, for each month.

February data are as follows.

Tokyo 3.7 (meaning average 3.7 snowy days in 28 days of February)
Kanazawa 16.0
Kyoto 10.5
Osaka 6.3
Nagoya 5.4

Wet winds blow from west, and the high mountains block them, so Tokyo is gprotectedh, in general. Kanazawa is in the west coast, so it is rather snowy place.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/20 08:04
Being close to the sea does not prevent Kanazawa getting snow and sometimes a lot. Average monthly snowfall in Jan/Feb is around one meter each month and more than half the days with snow.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: February weather, snow? 2019/11/20 09:18
Hi guys!

Thank you for all your helpful responses!
:)
All really helpful.

Last time we went to Japan (mid march to early April) we experienced all sorts of weather, from winter, snow in Fujikawaguchiko, early spring and a lot warmer to the end!

Excited to go back and experience it all again.
by CLAIREVICE rate this post as useful

reply to this thread