Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lost job while on Work Visa 2019/11/21 14:59
Hi guys,

I'm currently in a bit of a difficult situation with my work visa and hoping to get some advice.

My work visa is expiring in just over 2 months from now and I recently lost my job due to reduction of departments within the company I was employed with. Basically it was beyond my control and the company was unable to offer me a new role because I was employed through a temp agency.

I'm now in desperate need of a job in the same field as my previous one so that I can extend my stay in Japan. I've informed the Immigration office that I have left my previous job, although I was unaware that this was required and hence I was 1 day past the deadline (14 days after losing job) by the time I found out about it.

I was under the impression that I would need to not only find a new job but also an employer who is willing to sponsor me a new work visa. However, I recently read online that once you obtain a work visa, and even if you change jobs, you still have the right to keep the same visa. ie. from an employer's perspective, there's less to worry about if the newly hired employee has a valid work visa (although due to expire soon) as they don't have to go through the hassle of them having to put through a application to Immigration to support the employee's visa extension.

All you have to do is submit a 'Application for Extension of Period of Stay" to Immigration and if the outcome is positive, happy days. Is this true though?

Are there anything that I need to be mindful of, such as whether or not my salary is higher/lower than my previous one? If the contract type of the new job is for instance contract employee?

I'm sure some of these factors are likely to impact the result of the visa extension application, so if anyone has gone through this and can provide some tips it'd be much much appreciated.

Thanks

by Lunatic (guest)  

Re: Lost job while on Work Visa 2019/11/21 20:14
Yes, you do the gApplication for Extension of Period of Stay," you have a work visa currently so it is not going to be starting everything from zero, but since your current resident status is about to expire, your new employer will have to help you gextendh the period of stay, by providing (probably) the contract they are offering you, mentioning the salary figure as well.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread