Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 08:17
Hi! I have some small packages that I need to pick up the first day I arrive in Sapporo. They will be delivered by Amazon, but for some reason convenience store pickup is not available. My Airbnb host will not be at home to receive them either.

The instructions for Kyoku-dome are at https://www.post.japanpost.jp/service/sisho/ , but since I can't read Japanese well, and Google doesn't translate it well either, I'm afraid I could commit some mistake.

The closest Post Office to me will be https://map.japanpost.jp/p/search/dtl/300190375000/
1) Can I safely send to this Post Office, or do I need to choose another one nearby?
2) Would these be correct?
* Name: My full name (in Latin)
* Address:
琴似二条郵便局留め (I just added 留め to the Post Office name)
北海道札幌市西区琴似二条5−1−8
063-0812
* Telephone number: the phone listed in the link above? I won't have a Japanese number!

Thank you for your attention!
by eldesperado (guest)  

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 09:38
Kyoku-dome only works for items shipped through Japan Post; you say it's an Amazon order, so there's a good chance it will be shipped through another company like Yamato and the post office will reject it. (No, you cannot choose the delivery company.)

Just ship it normally, and if delivery fails, request re-delivery or go pick it up at the delivery company's office.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 11:13
As far as I can see from the instructions, they require you to fill out YOUR own address in Japan. So maybe this is intended only for people living in Japan but who want to receive parcels at a place different from their own - nearer to their office, etc.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 11:30
I don't really think so. I've picked up once my portable WiFi this way at the Post Office, but the seller offered this to me at the time. Also, some other websites mention this possibility, but never with clear instructions.

This video shows how it works, but I don't know if that envelope is necessary, or if it just works with any parcel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sik6OMDHCLw
by eldesperado (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 12:26
Oh OK. Now I do recall one of my friends picking up wifi at an airport post office. Sorry.
I don't think you need that particular service (Letter Pack - small parcel service with flat-rate postage). Just be sure to write your name as it appears on your passport, know who the sender is, know the contents, so that you can pick it up with your passport as ID (the contents and other info would be the additional proof that you are the correct recipient).
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/11/30 12:35
Right, thanks! And I think any Post Office can receive it, since it says "全国約24,000局の郵便局でお受取りいただけます", and a quick Google search for "number of post offices in japan" returns 24.000!

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/12/1 05:16
I went ahead and purchased the items, but later panicked and cancelled them all, because it seems this service only works if the service is handled by Japan Post, not by other companies like Yamato: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/郵便局留め

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/12/1 06:20
Not sure what you want to do, but you can get shipped things to a pick up point in Japan. E.g. if you order something on Amazon, you can get it shipped to a local conbini. Or you can get things shipped to your local Yamato Kuroneko distribution centre. That's what I sometimes do when I ship my luggage from the airport to the city.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoku-dome (Poste restante) 2019/12/1 06:24
I need snow boots that are only available at Amazon US (3XL size), and I will need on my first day. I can't choose pickup, I need a Japanese address. I won't stay at a hotel, but perhaps some hotel can offer this service of receiving packages for me for a fee?

reply to this thread