Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/2 14:26
I'm currently holding a dependent visa and I'm returning to the UK and my wife will follow later on. I still have two years on my visa. How do I cancel my visa, so my wife doesn't pay for tax or pension?
by alan (guest)  

Re: dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/2 18:26
This is not a matter of immigration, but a matter of residency. You have to visit the city hall and report your departure, i.e. de-register as resident.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/2 19:00
Thank you for the information
by alan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/3 01:09
Actually there is an immigration-related issue as well. When OP leaves Japan, his wife will no longer qualify for "Dependent" status, so depending on how long she plans to remain in Japan, she might have to change her status to something else.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/3 01:20
Sorry, it's OP that has a dependent visa. I'm not sure what OP means by "so my wife doesn't pay for tax or pension". As long as the wife contunues to reside in Japan, she must pay tax and pension like everyone else
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dependent visa how to cancel 2019/12/3 09:09
How do I cancel my visa, so my wife doesn't pay for tax or pension?
My understanding will be that OP is concern about his wife paying taxes/pension on his behalf as part of dependent spouse(tax/insurance/pension purpose).

In this case, you will need to register/inform the cityhall about you leaving Japan permanently, de-register yourself as resident.

At the time time ask your wife to inform the HR where she work, or consult with tax/insurance/pension people to get your name off the dependent spouse.

For immigration side, you just need to inform them at the airport's immigration counter, don't fill the special re-entry permit, let them know that you won't be returning and cancelling your immigration dependent status. Your zairyu card will be punched hole.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread