Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 06:36
Okay, so I've looked into a lot of the laws and regulations, but I still have a question I'd love some clarification on... can I carry a boot knife as long as it's within the 5.5 cm regulation? I reside in the US, and I carry both pocketknife and boot knife with me daily. It's habitual, and I haven't gone anywhere without them in over three years. However, I'm planning on going for a week-long trip to Tokyo, and I wasn't quite sure if this was allowed. Can somebody please help me out here?
by Tori Rose (guest)  

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 12:28
There really isn't a need to have a knife or two in Japan. I'd recommend you leave them at home, regardless of the time you've been wearing them. It's better to be prudent and not raise any suspicions in case you're stopped for any reason.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 12:43
Thank you so much for your opinion! I can see how safety might be the best option.😊
by Tori Rose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 13:08
Watch this video for reference:
https://youtu.be/6My0SNdqHo8
by yabai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 14:02
Yeah if you watch any j-drama they wont even show a knife in some, it gets pixelated out and in others you will have like 15 gangsters about to pounce on someone, the guy pulls out a box cutter and all of the gangsters scream and run away.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 20:25
not all criminal laws are translated.

Œy”Æß–@@
‘æˆêð@¶‚ÌŠe†‚̈ê‚ÉŠY“–‚·‚éŽÒ‚ÍA‚±‚ê‚ðS—¯–”‚͉ȗ¿‚Ɉ‚·‚éB
“ñ@³“–‚È——R‚ª‚È‚­‚Än•¨A“S–_‚»‚Ì‘¼l‚̶–½‚ðŠQ‚µA–”‚Íl‚Ìg‘Ì‚Éd‘å‚ÈŠQ‚ð‰Á‚¦‚é‚Ì‚ÉŽg—p‚³‚ê‚é‚悤‚ÈŠí‹ï‚ð‰B‚µ‚ÄŒg‘Ñ‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚½ŽÒ
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/12 21:19
Yeah, unless you're planning on shanking someone while you're in Japan, I'd leave the knives at home. Violent crime is pretty much non-existent, so the odds that you'd need a weapon for self-defense are extremely slim, and it'd just be a potential problem if you end up having to deal with the police for some other reason (like a random passport check, which occasionally happens in Japan). There's also the fact that a lot of places in Japan, including even some casual restaurants, require you to take your shoes off when coming inside, and I doubt they'd look too kindly on a knife falling out as you pull off your boots.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/13 07:15
Okay, thank you to everyone who has been kind enough to respond! A lot of you guys made really good points, and I don't think it'll be worth the hassle.😊❤
by Tori Rose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/13 08:29
"Hassle" isn't the right word - as ken wrote above (albeit in Japanese), knives are illegal and you could be fined or detained if you are caught carrying one. There's just no need and honestly, it's a bit strange to want to take the knives with you "out of habit". I'd also question how you'd get them through Customs at the airports.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are boot knives legal? 2019/12/13 09:39
It is actually quite strange having to explain to american people that other countries may have different laws, different rules about knives, guns, drugs...

There was a 74 years old californian tourist who was arrested 10 years ago and he spent 10 days locked because he had a pocket knive while asking for direction to cops in Shibuya. They asked him if he has a knive and he showed them his foldable knive. 10 days in jail but they decided not to prosecute him. Some have even been arrested at airports trying to come here with their guns. When I read such question on this board and watch news I certainly can't blame japanese cops for stereotyping american tourists and their passion for knives and weapons.
by name (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread