Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 2019/12/14 19:51
Paying credit debt after leaving Japan?

Hi all,
I am living here in Japan with working visa (IT job),
owning a Rakuten credit card debt of 200万円。
(the minimum payment is auto withdrawed each month from my 三菱UFJ bank account)

I am going to leave Japan next year, and I want to continue paying the remaning debt oversea, by installment like now (I have a friend in Japan here who is willing to help me to transfer the necessary amount each month to my bank account)

What I am worry about :
1. Will Rakuten credit company find out about me leaving the country and try to force me pay the debt all at once?
2. Will the 三菱UFJ bank find out about me leaving the country and suspend my account ? (Because my apartment contract will be stopped, I am thinking about changing my registered address (with the bank) to the address of the friend mentioned above, so that just in case they send me anything, it will not be returned back to them)

Thank you very much for your help!
by Uen  

Re: Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 200950468 2019/12/27 22:36
Japanese banks normally will not allow you to register or give a foreign address on your bank and or credit card.
1)Yes, Rakuten will ask you to pay in full on your account before leaving Japan . If you continue making the payments after leaving Japan 海外送(international wire-transfer) is what I was told to do when I inquired before I left , lol. Your plan of paying it by installments abroad is noble.

2) You must show proof of your address change to the bank (address change on residence card). Have your Japanese friend go with you to 三菱UFJ or inquire by phone about the address change for sure. Sometimes, a friend or parent can be a contact for the bank in case of address change or emergency.

Normally, foreigners and Japanese alike would use a parent or trusted friend's address in Japan as for a change of address.

Good luck
by Joshua Hilton (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 2019/12/28 00:55
@Joshua Hilton:
I don’t know for all banks but I do know that I have two credit cards (ANA Amex and Prestia visa). To both of them and to my bank in Japan I communicated before I left Japany new address in Europe and I continue to use both credit cards (when in Japan) and my bank account (for payments from Japan and for getting money while in Japan). Both Amex and my bank (Prestia) send the monthly account statement by letter to my address in Europe.
So it is not true that you cannot have a credit card it bank account if no longer living in Japan.

To PP, I can’t however answer your question regarding monthly payments for a credit, as I always paid in the month all debt back.

Best advise, speak with Rakuten.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 2019/12/29 13:26
@Joshua Hilton & @LikeBike
Thank you very much for your anwers!!
by Uen rate this post as useful

Re: Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 2020/1/1 18:25
Depends on the bank. My personal accounts at Shinsei and company accounts at Rakuten - I am required to prove I have a valid status of residence to keep my accounts open. As soon as I am not resident, both banks will cancel/freeze the accounts. So on a survey of two, 100% require a valid resident status.
Your bank has a copy of your resident card (normally as part of the documentation process) - they know when the status expires.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Paying credit debt after leaving Japan? 2020/1/1 19:16
@JapanCustomTours
Thank you for your answer!
by Uen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread