Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/17 19:48
Hi,
I just wanted to double check stuff here since immigration doesnft speak enough English to answer me properly.

I switched from a tourist visa to work visa in Japan. Got the COE and all documents approved. When i went to pick it up I got a zairyuu card that states that Ifm allowed to work here now for three years. In my passport they didnft paste a visa? (Ifve worked in Japan before and applied for overseas at that time. I got a visa in my passport from the embassy in my country which basically just stated the date before which I had to entry the country).

Considering the fact that I was already in the country, im not getting one of those. But it seems weird to me. The only valid visa document I have now is the zairyuu card then? Of am I mixing up visa and permission to work?

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me:) Because i want to go to korea soon for a trip and dont want to get stuck at the airport on my way back lol.

Thnx
by Emma (guest)  

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 11:29
Visas get you into a country. You are already there, so don't need one.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 12:44
Immigration has enough English support, maybe they did not understand your question.

You do not require a visa in your passport since you were all ready in Japan and got all the approvals.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 12:46
I got a zairyuu card
As previous poster said, visa(sticker/stamp) is for entering Japan. You are good to go.

Normal procedure is
sponsor in Japan(apply COE for you), you apply visa (with COE) at embassy,
approved (you get sticker/stamp on passport), then you enter Japan, your visa cancel/used and in exchange you get zairyu card to stay in Japan as resident.

Understand the differences between visa and resident status.
Visa for entry into Japan, resident status to live/work in Japan legally.

Extra, if you don't mind answering, how did you (experience) changing status from tourist(temporary)visa to work status using COE ? What job or status type did you change to ?
The have been stories about people having trouble changing status from tourist since immigration getting strict.

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 13:24
Passport Kahnkey na ey..!you are lucky enough to get your work visa approved Zariyu Card in Japan is your identity as long as it is valid
by Mustang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 17:18
Thank you for the answers, nothing to worry about then:)

Changing from tourist to work visa is a hassle. I got a sponsorship here and could hand in the coe application form myself. The COE took like 8 weeks to arrive At my company and I had to go to immigration 3 times. When i handed in my coe and documents i got a stamp that extended my stay with 2 months so i wouldnft have to leave the country. Waiting at immigration every time took between 2-5 hours.
Hope that answers your question. I recommend doing it from outside the country since you have to wait a long time and cant work on a tourist visa during that time obviously.
by Emma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changed tourist to workvisa, no stamp? 2019/12/18 17:23
Changing from tourist to work visa is a hassle.

That's because you did it wrong. You should have applied for a change of status directly, not for a CoE.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread