Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/20 04:06
Hi everyone,

Ifd like to try Osechi Ryori for this coming New Yearfs in Tokyo.

1. What places are considered the very best for Osechi Ryori? I know department stores have them; do they make better ones than elsewhere, and, if so, is there any one thatfs particularly well regarded?
2. How does the buying of Osechi Ryori work? From some googling, it seems you must order in advance. When is usually the deadline? When do you usually pick it up?
3. Is it cooked the day before pickup?
4. Delivery seems to be an option for some places. Is that a bad idea given how intricately presented and delicate the ingredients are?

Thanks for any insight.
by Oshizushi Everyday  

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/20 09:08
Assuming that you are thinking about buying a whole set of it (as against cooking anything yourself), this has been my experience:
1. I have bought from shops within department stores, sushi shops, convenience stores, and so far (within our price range) all were good. If you are in Japan already, have a look at the department store basement – they should have some photos posted for the booking of osechi, see if there is one you like. Itfs really personal preference. Convenience stores should have catalogues too.
2. Yes, it is usually booked in advance, as osechi is something you enjoy at home over the New Yearfs days (in some regions people start pecking on it on the Eve). Maybe the booking ends maybe around 23rd, 24th or so, and you pick it up on the 31st.
Some stores in department stores provide gno booking neededh ones too – but then you go to the department store first thing in the morning on the 31st to make sure you get to buy one (check in advance on the flyers/catalogues).
3. Some are cooked well in advance and the whole thing might be frozen. It is to be consumed during the first 2, 3 (at most) days into the New Year though, even when kept refrigerated.
4. No. Ifve tried the delivery too, and it arrived fine – some places freeze the whole thing, to be defrosted at home.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/21 04:07
AK, thank you so much. You shared such exceptionally useful info.

Do you know if the catalogs will mention if the osechi ryori will be frozen upon pickup? Choosing one that hasnft been frozen seems more ideal.

I have a catalog from The Garden Jiyugaoka and Seibu. Will drop by Isetan tomorrow for theirs, to compare, in case theirs may be better, since theyfre one of the more high end department stores. And hopefully order soon after.
by Oshizushi Everyday rate this post as useful

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/21 04:20
Also, do osechi ryoris need to be refrigerated or are they still made in keeping with their origin, foods that can be preserved for a time when refrigeration wasnft a thing? I ask cause some of the larger ones wouldnft fit my fridge.

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/21 12:30
I faintly recall knowing ahead of time if the one to be delivered would be frozen or chilled.. so it must have been mentioned somewhere.
Refrigerator: some of the food is seasoned to be preserved, but nowadays they do contain items that are rather fresh as well, so yes, it should be kept in the refrigerator, or at least in a cold room in the house. And be sure you consume it (the shop would say gplease consume by Jan. 1 but) by the 2nd (or at latest the 3rd). Which means the number of people in the household would pretty much determine how big a box you should buy. In our case there is just myself and my spouse, so we always go for the small set – the one that says gfor 2 – 3 peopleh (this is mentioned in the catalogues).

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/21 14:21
Thank you again, AK. Youfre a great help.

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/23 10:08
Many years ago, when I was childhood the osechi was rather sweet and salty.

I came to know after I aged that it was done to make a dish last long.
On the 1st and 2nd day, mothers could save time for cooking and spend slowly with the family.
Now every home had a refrigerator, the food which doesn't last long could also enter now osechi ryori.
If you're interested in additive free, it should be good to manage at a refrigerator.

https://www.oisix.com/shop.osechi--cont-additivefree__html.htm

In osechi, each ingredient are put for giving thanks to nature and praying family's health respectively.
https://nativecamp.net/blog/20190923_osechi
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/24 02:35
Thank you, biwakoman. Really educational links.

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/29 03:51
One new question arose as I was browsing the Seibu department store site as I was thinking of going on the 31st to pick up some food for the next couple days: will there be tons of people in the depachikas on the 31st, not just of people picking up their osechi ryori, but also for, if Ifm correct, lucky bag events? If thatfs the case, Ifll go on the 30th.

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/29 08:33
Lucky bag thing starts on the 1st or the 2nd, whenever that store opens for the first time in the new year. But there will be tons of people anyways, be it on the 30th or the 31st.
If you are going for picking up osechi available for sale-day purchase on the day (not booked in advance) at Seibu in Ikebukuro for example, be sure you check their flyer or their web to decide which one you want, and get there early and ask where you need to queue up to buy that specific one. (Yes, Ifve done that before, Ifm sure you can tell lol.)

Re: Osechi ryori: Best shops and basics 2019/12/29 15:00
Good to know. Thanks again, AK.

(In a different life I would consider hiring a butler just to do all this for me.)

reply to this thread