Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Changing visa status 2019/12/22 10:57

Instead of wasting a day at the immigration office to just ask this question, I hope someone can help me here...

I have been living in Japan for 4 years with a working visa. I got married to Japanese national recently and want to apply for a spouse visa. Do I have to apply for a CoE for the spouse visa or do I just fill in the the 'APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF STATUS OF RESIDENCE' document?

Considering that applying for the CoE requires a ton of documents and preparation, I hope it is not necessary when you're already in the possession of a visa.

I hope someone can help me sort this out.

Thank you!
by Kindai25  

Re: Changing visa status 2019/12/22 14:40
Like you already mentioned above itfs not necessary if you have a visa ....
Just Change of Status
by Friday Born rate this post as useful

Re: Changing visa status 2019/12/22 17:10
Whether COE/visa or change of status, you basically require to submit almost the same documentation.
The only advantage is that you get to skip the visa/embassy part and be in Japan throughout your change of status.

Understand the different between visa(coe) and status of resident, you don't want to mix-up the term when dealing with immigration. Foreigner need a visa to enter Japan, COE for visa application, and status of resident to reside in Japan.

You apply for change status of resident , not visa.
You are applying for change status of resident, from 'work' to spouse of Japanese national.

Read below link, especially the Japanese immigration link on change of status, as it has more details compared to English. Always double/triple check with your local 'friendly' immigration office.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread