Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you call people from other schools senpai 2019/12/26 06:06
Let's say that Mana is a 1st year and she knows two 3rd years; Tanaka, who goes to the same school as Mana, and Sato, who goes to a different school.

I know that Mana would refer to Tanaka as Tanaka-senpai, but would she refer to Sato as Sato-san or Sato-senpai?
by BC (guest)  

Re: Can you call people from other schools senpai 2019/12/26 10:48
He'd be Sato-san. "Senpai" generally refers to your senior within a given group, not an entire field/discipline.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2019/12/26 12:00
Thank you!
by BC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you call people from other schools senpai 2019/12/27 09:09
No prob!

It's probably also worth noting that it's not so much that 「Mana would refer to Tanaka as Tanaka-senpai」 as Mana might refer to Tanaka as Tanaka-senpai. Not all students take the senpai/kohai relationship so seriously, and depending on Mana's personality, her relationship with Tanaka, and the school's atmosphere, it's possible she'd call him Tanaka-san, or even just Tanaka. One of the first things my Japanese friends told me when I was doing study abroad in Tokyo was "Hey, we're friends, so you don't need to address us with -san."
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread