Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2019/12/27 20:28
Hi all,

I've just turned 37 and really want to experience something different in my life. I've had a life long love of Japan and have visited many times, I don't have a degree which is usually what is needed to get into Japan, but this is mainly to teach English, and at the age I'd be when I got a degree (around 40) I'm not sure this would be the best career path for me.

I'm currently an Escalation Manager, so I have customer service and business experience, would this sort of skillset be desirable in Japan without a degree if I had my N1 as a native English speaker? Or would I still need a degree regardless?

Just trying to figure out the best way to spend the next 3-5 years of my life to gain what I need to hopefully make the move. I have the funds to hire private tuition in Japanese so I feel like 4-5 years is an obtainable goal if I study 25 hours a week

Thanks!
by SushiJunkie  

Re: Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2019/12/28 07:53
in order to work in Japan you need a visa. There are many different visa categories, some require a university graduation others don't. However those other ones, e.g. for chefs have other requirements.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html

So first read up carefully about the different visas and if there is a visa category under which you could find a job without a graduating from university.
I am not a great visa expert, but seeing that your experience is more in business I fear that you'll need a university degree.

Regarding studying Japanese and your desire to live in Japan. Why not come on a student visa to Japan and life in Japan (on your savings) for 2 years and study Japanese. Maybe you are more self-driven than I, but I fear that just studying in your home country will take a long time to get to N1 level, while if you attend a school in Japan, it should take somewhere around 2 years, maybe 2,5-3 years, depending on your study skills. This way you could also life in Japan.

However the issue with the work visa remains. If you would be looking for a job under a category that needs a university degree, knowing Japanese at N1 level is not going to help get you that visa.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2019/12/28 14:43
a degree which is usually what is needed to get into Japan, but this is mainly to teach English,
Says who? A degree is required for almost all 'work' related visa, not just teaching English. However, instead of a degree with few years experience in your pocket and job offer, you may be granted visa to work in Japan if the immigration feel like it.
https://eng.visa-immi.com/list/humanities/

I had my N1 as a native English speaker?
not much use if you can't satisfy basic 'working visa' requirement, i.e. degree or experience (3-10 years).
looks good for resume/cv but not enough for immigration.

I have customer service and business experience
again not much of use in Nippon, unless they are looking for someone to cater for foreigner/overseas.
Are you familiar with Japan business/marketing customs? Can you sell yourself ?

figure out the best way to spend the next 3-5 years
don't focus on Japan only, widen your scope and skill/value. Getting a degree that will last you a lifetime, degree that related to your interest/experience. Visiting and living are two different things.

I have the funds to hire private tuition in Japanese so I feel like 4-5 years is an obtainable goal if I study 25 hours a week
As another poster had said, why not use that extra fund you have, take 1-2 year off, study Japanese in Japan on student visa, you can try/experience/enjoy living in Japan. Also you can apply for permission to work <28 hrs per week to work part time, something to supplement your stay and build up your resume.

https://blog.gaijinpot.com/japan101/visas-and-status-of-residence/
https://study.gaijinpot.com/guide/apply-student-visa-study-japan/
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2019/12/28 18:00
Why not come on a student visa to Japan and life in Japan (on your savings) for 2 years and study Japanese.

I agree, this would be the best and easy option to get into Japan for the o/p.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2020/1/1 18:16
I have a good friend that managed N2 and their comment was it was pointless, irrelevant and obscure grammar. Didn't help with her ability to actually communicate in Japanese (she is fluent). While a qualification in Japanese like N1 is a bonus, focus on being able to read, write and speak in Japanese. The JLPT does not test all of those adequately AFAIK.

Another point, Japan pays really badly - be prepared to be paid minimally. As a life-style change - great, but don't expect a salary similar to many other countries.

BTW, visiting Japan and living in Japan are very different things.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Could I live and work in Japan with an N1? 2020/1/2 12:19
For your situation, as long as you can get a sponsor, it shouldnt be a big problem. Since you have N1 and if you can fluently communicate in Japanese you shouldnft have problems findinf a sponsor.

With regards to pay, Japanese companies pay really badly especially to younger employees (pretty much anyone below 45). However, foreign companies such as consulting firms pay well and well in line with global market. At my firm, people make about 15M + incentives after 5-8 years (late 20s early 30s) and our seniors makes 50M+ in their 40s.
Tokyo is a lot cheaper than other tier 1 cities such as New York and London, so it is possible to benefit financially if you can get an offer from a foreign firm instead of the low paying slow promotion JP firms.
by ooo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread