Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass for Kanto, Kansai, and Chubu? 2019/12/30 10:01
14 days in japan and trying to figure out a way not to have to buy a 14 day JR rail pass. We have plans for 5 days in Tokyo after flying in from HND airport then making our way to Mt. Fuji and then to Kyoto then to Kinosaki Onsen and possibly up to Hida-Takayama. I was led to believe there was a rail pass other than a Full JR Pass that would cover all these areas and travel within Kanto (to Nikko). Does such a pass exist OR will I have to purchase two 14 day JR Passes @ 47,250 Yen Apiece?
by Flying Tiger  

Re: JR Pass for Kanto, Kansai, and Chubu? 2019/12/30 11:32
Hi there Flying Tiger,

Unfortunately, the only two JR passes that connect Tokyo to Kyoto are the Nationwide passes or The Hokuriku Pass, which is unsuitable for your itinerary.

That being said, it may not be necessary for you to purchase the full 14 day pass. We'd need to see your full schedule but from the looks of it, perhaps

Tokyo Wide Pass (3 days) :10,180 yen
Shinkansen to Kyoto : 13,320 yen unreserved
Kansai Wide Pass (5 days): 9,200 yen

For a total of 32,700 yen

The above however does not cover Kyoto to Hida Takayama which I'd recommend taking a 4500 yen bus instead of the trains. Hopefully this helps a little bit, long distance travel in Japan can really add up

by afiqtravel rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass for Kanto, Kansai, and Chubu? 2019/12/30 12:06
See if this helps;

Spend the first 5 days in Tokyo wards with a day trip to Nikko
Then head to see Mt Fuji Hopefully with an overnight in Minamitsuru-gun Yamanashi
Then head to Kyoto for 3 days
Then Head to Kinosaki Onsen for 1 day
At this point we will have 2 more days to do something and we prefer to bypass larger cities like Osaka & Hiroshima in favor of smaller areas. for guidance some Interest that we have include seeing old historic Japan, seeing beautiful natural wonders, seeing the mountainous areas of Japan, taking videos/photos, doing some souviner shopping which we can probably do in Tokyo or Kyoto.
We have to fly home from HND on the 13th day at Noon.
by Flying Tiger rate this post as useful

reply to this thread