Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/1 06:08
I want to visit Japan next year, hopefully. However, I'm allergic to sesame seeds and sesame oil. Not to the point where I'd suffer Anaphylaxis but enough to make me quite sick if eaten in large quantities.
What are the best ways to avoid Sesame in Japan, especially in restaurants as I really love food and want to try a lot of Japanese cuisine.
by BlubluBlu  

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/1 19:11
Sesame is used frequently in Japanese cuisine but not to an extend where EACH dish has sesame.

So the normal thing to do is to prepare a piece of paper with a sentence in Japanese that says you are allergic and asks the waiter to confirm with the kitchen that there is no sesame or sesame oil in what you order.

You can find these cards readily prepared in some travel pages for people who are allergic.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/3 15:17
You'll need to do some research yourself to see what dishes use sesame.

If you're at a fancy restaurant at an international hotel, you can probably inquire with the staff, but don't rely on underpaid part-time waitstaff in an ordinary restaurant to screen your food for you - generally they don't have the time, or the ability, and it's not considered to be part of their job.

I've had waitstaff who could barely speak Japanese - there's a bit of a labor shortage these days - so don't rely on them to figure out what sesame oil is, and whether it's used in the kitchen.

by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/6 08:04
Grinding goma. There's a card part way down on this page.

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0001856/
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/7 10:21
If you have an allergy, Japanese are pretty concious about allergies and they usually have signs up asking people to point out any allergies that they have. If you write something down or explain to them that you do, they can prepare a dish for you without it.

Japan is very clean and health-concious and I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip!
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/21 08:35
This sort of question has been asked before.

I suggest if you have an allergy, have someone you trust write something to that effect on a card, in Japanese. Have it laminated and carry it with you. When you go to a restaurant, you can just show the card to the server.

If you want to go further, you can have the card also ask them to make recommendations for items that exclude any of those ingredients.
by Zarf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/21 15:37
The main advantage of having a laminated "allergy card" is that you can show it to the doctor in the hospital emergency room. The waitstaff at most restaurants will generally just nod their heads and then ignore it (if they can even read Japanese).
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Sesame allergies in Japan 2020/1/22 00:55
You have every right to ask the waiter what the dish is made of and if there is sesame. Well, or talk with the chef.
by SergoMi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread