Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What would you recommend? 2020/1/2 17:25
Hello,

I have a full day before I go to Nagoya. However, I can't decide if I want to go to the Fuji area to check out the ice and wind caves or head to Takayama to explore Gifu City, Shirakawa-go and Hida areas.

What appeals to me is the history of the Takayama region but the natural landscape of the Fuji area is also very attractive.

What would you recommend?
by Hannah (guest)  

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/2 18:24
Before you go to Nagoya from where? What time of year? This will have a major impact on what gets suggested.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/2 21:58
I will be going on the last day of March 2020 and leaving from Tokyo.

by Hannah Small (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/3 05:31
One day is probably not enough for the Takayama areas and would make for too much travel. As for the Fuji areas I am not a massive fan though they are pretty enough and Fuji is very impressive.

Given what you are wanting to see and where you are going, I wonder whether a trip to Tsumago/Magome for the hike is worthwhile. It is a bit overrated IMO but if your expectations are not high it really ticks a lot of your boxes - bit of mountain, old towns, nature.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/3 06:08
You may have some jet lag from your flight. If you go to Takayama, and end up with some jet lag, you will end up at Takayama without any energy. You would be in need of rest, checked out of the hotel in Tokyo, and might not have a hotel yet in Takayama.

I would suggest planning one or two small things around Tokyo, so that you can return to your hotel, and have a bed to rest in. It will be cherry blossom time, the grand promenade at Kamakura might be nice, followed by the Endoshima and the aquarium at the beginning of the bridge to Endoshima Island.

Another idea would be to go to Ueno Park for the cherry blossoms. If you feel like a short hike, you could do the seven Lucky gods mini pilgrimage (Shichifukujin Meguri) which includes the Benton Shrine in Ueno Park. You can get a paper to record the shrine stamps on one side, and a map to the shrines on the other.

There are lots of other places; Tokyo Dome, Sky Tree, Tokyo Tower, Akihabara, Disney, and others, that might interest you.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/3 18:04
Thanks @Hannah. I would go along with what others have said. I would concur that Shirakawago & Takayama are too far to travel. You would also have to go through Nagoya to get there. I would suggest having another day based in Tokyo or going to Kamakura or Nikko as a day trip if you have not already planned them for when you are in Tokyo. Otherwise Hakone or Shizuoka for views of Fuji are what I would do. But with my luck I'd go to Shizuoka & there would be so much cloud that the mountain would not be visible :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/3 18:48
check out the ice and wind caves
That is on the Kawaguchiko side, way too much travel time required.
Takayama is a possibility if you get the train to Matsumoto and then the bus to Takayama. Some passive sightseeing, but a lot of travel time.

Did you think about a stop like Atami?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What would you recommend? 2020/1/4 12:25
みなさん、こんいちは!

Thank you to everyone who replied!

Honestly, the reason why I asked was because just looking at the travelling time on the map made me tired, lol. But, I have read all that everyone has had to say and I am thinking of stopping in Shizouka on my way to Nagoya.

It has history and is surrounded by stunning nature too. With, hopefully, a clear view of the ever elusive Fuji (very hopeful, but doubtful).

by Hannah (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread