Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Alps in April 2020/1/5 08:13
Hi Everyone,

I will be visiting Japan for the first time, and would like to spend a few days in the Alps.
The trip should start at Kanazawa and end at Five Lakes so It will fit to the rest of the schedule.
My current plan is to get to Kanazawa on the morning (from Kyoto, on April 16th) and spend the day there.
The day after will be Kanazawa -> Shirakawago -> Takayama.
I don't know if I want to spend a full day on Takayama but I do know that I want to visit Kamikochi.
I am debating between
A. Third day: Takayama -> Matsumoto, Fourth Day: Matsumoto -> Kamikochi -> Matsumoto, and ride to Five lakes on the day after from Matsumoto.
B. Third day: Takayama -> Kamikochi -> Matsumoto, Fourth Day: Matsumoto -> Five lakes and saving a day for other locations.

I hope this explanation makes any sense..
Can you please give me any suggestions on how to split the days?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
by Ori1302  

Re: Japan Alps in April 2020/1/5 17:54
Hi, it really depends on your interests. I've been to Kamikochi three times now and really like it, though there isnt a lot of history and I wouldnt bother going unless I was staying overnight as during the day it is crawling with very noisy daytrippers. Ultimately if you are not staying overnight, and assuming it is open when you are there, I would stay for an hour and wander off from the main bus terminal to the river then back.

If however you can get an overnight stay in, the onsen hotel there is excellent and the monkeys are usually about first thing in the morning especially, and late in the afternoon.

Otherwise I really like Takayama as well, it is worth a night at least. Matsumoto however is not so much my cup of tea although lots of people love it.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread