Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I leave Japan during my PR application? 2020/1/5 19:13
I've read that it takes 4 to 8 months for a permanent residency application. I'm unclear on whether or not I can leave the country (for a 10-day vacation) while the application is in-flight.

Details:

I currently have a zairyuu card through a work visa. I'm unclear on whether I submit it with the application, or whether I exchange it for the permanent resident zairyuu card upon approval. I'm guessing it's the latter.

But, I also read this ambiguous requirement on an immigration lawyer website: "Having stayed in Japan physically for more than 6 months in total in a 12 months period prior to and during the application process"

I also heard I should avoid switching jobs while the application is in-flight, just unclear on whether there are guidelines around international travel as well during the application.
by RMS (guest)  

Re: Can I leave Japan during my PR application? 2020/1/6 12:45
You can travel outside Japan while your PR application in progress. They wont take your zaryu card/passport while application in progress.
Make sure you have everything in order while abroad.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I leave Japan during my PR application? 2020/1/6 17:39
Edit:
Make sure you have everything in order before you go abroad.
Zairyu card don't expire, special re-entry permit at airport etc ..
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I leave Japan during my PR application? 2020/1/6 20:43
Thanks for the answer.

I'm a US citizen and hold a US passport; I've left Japan multiple times while residing in Japan with a work visa and have never used a "special re-entry permit", at least not a booklet, so I may have to look into that. I've always just used the little yellow-ish piece of paper in the airport just after the security screening and just before immigration, which perhaps is what you meant by "special re-entry permit" as opposed to the brown booklet that turns up in a Google search.
by RMS (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread