Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa in May? 2020/1/7 06:54
We would really like to do a 3 day trip to Okinawa during our upcoming 13 day trip to Japan. Is mid to end May a good time to go? Some sites show rainy season starts end of May.
Which island would be easiest to get to and how?

Which island has beaches with clear water and soft sand?

Just some insight into our plans - we are also going to Tokyo and Kyoto. We were initially going to go to Takayama but are thinking to replace that plan with Okinawa.
Thank you!!
by VPPATEL  

Re: Okinawa in May? 2020/1/7 09:22
I was in Okinawa and more precisely in Ishigaki Island last May (right after Golden Week). You would not want to be there during the Golden Week. I beforehand read that May is a very ideal time for Okinawa (not many crowds, no typhoon season, not a lot of rain but still warm). The weather was unfortunately not cold but very dull and partially rainy so I could not show my mom the real Okinawa that I know. Many of the places/restaurants were still on off-season schedule so we had more limited options in terms of dining. I every summer try to go down to Kerama Islands - to Tokashiki and Zamami (Kerama blue is a term used to describe the magnificent blue color of the water surrounding these islands (ex:https://www.instagram.com/p/B128hfcgwuL/), which are both smaller but always feel nicer and cozier to me than Ishigaki (where there are tour buses). Sorry if I could not help precisely but island trips are usually up to your luck in terms of weather and the sunshine and the lack of it can change the whole experience drastically.
by Bizarre Journeys rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in May? 2020/1/7 10:29
Is mid to end May a good time to go?

No, the sites are correctly stating that May is rainy season and comes with a lot of rain.

Which island would be easiest to get to and how?

Naha is by far the easiest airport to get into from dozens of airports inside Japan and several airports in Asian countries. But Ishigaki and Miyako islands also have direct flights from at least Tokyo and Osaka. The flights tend to be more expensive.

Which island has beaches with clear water and soft sand?

All of them. My favorite Okinawa island for beaches is Miyako:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7300.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in May? 2020/1/8 11:33
Thank you so much both of you for replying

We were specifically considering either Ishigaki or Miyako islands - I had messaged some photographers who has a beautiful website on Okinawa islands and they had mentioned that due to climate change, May is not typically showing as much rain as in the previous years? I am trying to find this information online but cannot.

Does the weather vary between Ishigaki or Miyako islands?
by VPPATEL rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in May? 2020/1/8 14:26
is not typically showing as much rain as in the previous years? I am trying to find this information online but cannot.

The percentage of sunny days in late May in Ishigaki is on average 46% compared to 38% of rainy days. That is generally not horrible, but it is considerably lower than the 70-85% sunny days seen from late June through August.

I am not sure whether there has been less rain recently.

Does the weather vary between Ishigaki or Miyako islands?

No, not in any major way.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread