Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Longer stays for the wealthy 2020/1/7 09:19
Longer Stays for the Wealthy
If you are a citizen of one of the over 50 countries with which Japan has a "general visa exemption arrangement" and have savings of over 30 million yen, you and your spouse are eligible to stay in Japan for up to one year for the purpose of sightseeing or recreation. You may not engage in paid activities. A visa has to be obtained before traveling to Japan.

questions:are we able to rent a home for this type of visa?
are my kids able to go to school? is it renewable?
what are the process of getting this visa?

regards
by lulu (guest)  

Re: Longer Stays for the Wealthy 2020/1/7 10:41
Hey Lulu!

In regards to renting, you should be able to do so, though I would first check with the housing company/person that you're renting from. Every one has a different policy and some require some sort of living visa status in Japan, where others don't care and you can rent as long as you're allowed to be here like AirBNB.

For schooling, I would call the school or ask someone in the local government office of where you are planning to stay. Every city has it's own rules and guidelines.

As for the visa, what kind of visa are you trying to get? Just a visitor visa or someting else? I would recommend this site for visa information: https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

I hope the info helps you!
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Longer Stays for the Wealthy 2020/1/7 10:47
are we able to rent a home for this type of visa?
no one knows, because it depends on owners.

are my kids able to go to school?
you can't bring your child. thus, impossible.

is it renewable?
it is 6 months, you can extend another 6 months. then, maximum is 12 months.

what are the process of getting this visa?
for the persons who want to stay longer as TOURISTS.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Longer Stays for the Wealthy 2020/1/7 10:58
Basically it is a "premium tourist visa". Japanese immigration is expecting you to spend money, sightseeing, spend money again and visit stuff. It's not an "immigrant visa" or a "premium green card". You are not expected to stay years (not renewable) and not be living like an immigrant (bringing kids, putting kids in school etc....).
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Longer Stays for the Wealthy 2020/1/7 11:01
https://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/ca/fna/page22_002161.html
the official site says —a’™‹à.
it means you can't add your money which is invested to others, like stock, bonds, etc. you need to show you have money (cash) in bank statement.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Longer Stays for the Wealthy 2020/1/7 11:21
And here is the process for this specific visa:

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000738.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Longer stays for the wealthy 2020/1/8 08:51
Just having money does not allow you to live in Japan. You will be a visitor, and then you go home.
There are companies that will rent long term for foreign visitors - some google searching will bring up a few.
Also, being in Japan more than 183 days may impact your tax obligations in your home country and Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread