Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temporary Visitor to Spouse Status 2020/1/7 18:16
Hello.

So my question is in regards to changing my residence status from Temporary Visitor to Spouse Status.

Currently how difficult or easy is it to change Temporary Visitor to Spouse Status? I will be applying at the Osaka immigration office when my wife (Japanese National) and myself return to Japan at the end of January.

I previously had spouse status and lived in Osaka with my wife of 3 years until December 2018 we then left to travel and spend time in my home country of Australia and because we were spending longer then 1 year away from Japan and my spouse status at the time was expiring in May of 2019 I cancelled that spouse status when leaving Japan.
Back in April 2018 I had changed my working holiday "Designed Activities Status" to Spouse status which was easy enough but this time around will there be any problems because of changing from Temporary Visitor?

Our financial situation will be mostly the same as before as my wife will be returning to the same Job she had before and My father in law will also act as a guarantor again. I will have to find work again after the application.

Our reason for returning which we will also explain to immigration in the application includes us wanting to live in Japan permanently now after my wife and myself has spent time traveling and in Australia with my family and also for my father in law who lives by himself in Osaka and will be retiring this year and we are returning to live with him again so he isn't alone up until he returns to Nagasaki to be with the rest of his family and at that time he will be giving us the apartment that he owns in Osaka.

With all this does anyone think I will come across any issues with applying as a temporary visitor or should things be pretty straight forward like before. Also will all my information from my past spouse status and so on still be on record and will that also make things any easier or does it not really matter because it is a new application.

Any answer's or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :)
by Br151  

Re: Temporary Visitor to Spouse Status 2020/1/7 19:37
Nobody here can say. The only way to find out is to do it. On paper there doesn't seem to be anything that would prohibit you from changing status, but you also need to be ready to return to your home country temporarily and apply from there in case things don't work out. It's fair to assume that having already lived in Japan legally and not caused any problems would buy you some amount of goodwill from Immigration, but how much we don't really know. Again, the only people who can answer your question are the decision makers at Immigration so you just need to go ahead and do it.

Good luck!
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread