Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which pass for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara 2020/1/8 03:33
Hi

I am confused by all the different travel passes you can get for bus/subway/JR train lines and private trainlines and wondered if anyone can advise which would be best for the following please?

Arriving at Osaka Itami airport and travelling straight to Kyoto to spend 4 nights there (3 full days). Then before we head back to Tokyo will have a full day in Nara.

Thank you in advance

Jenny
by Jenny (guest)  

Re: Which pass for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara 2020/1/8 08:05
Then you travel from Itami to Kyoto, Kyoto to Nara, within Kyoto and within Nara. I think no pass is suitable. Just get an IC card such as Welcome Suica in Tokyo.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/welcomesuica/welcomesuica.html

You can use almost all local trains/buses in Kansai area including Kyoto and Nara. Which to take depends on where exactly you want to go. For example, "Kyoto" is not a point: It may be JR Kyoto station area, Arashiyama area, Kiyomizugojo, Kyotokawaramachi, etc. Appropriate route depends on the specific destination. Anyway, it is quite easy: use Googlemap first to check the route. Sometimes it works well by itself. You can double check with Hyperdia, Jorudan. Inside Kyoto, Arukumachikyoto is quite useful.

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en

If you use smartphone, there should be Apps for Arukumachikyoto, which you can download from the side above.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Which pass for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara 2020/1/8 10:16
Hi

If you are specifically staying near Kyoto Station, I highly recommend the bus. It's not the cheapest method, but it is fast, convenient, frequent, and only around 1000\ it is cheaper via train and monorail, but there are more transfers and depending on your destination it takes about the same amount of time.

If you are taking a local bus at least 3x on a given day, a Kyoto bus pass makes sense. But I don't see any other sort of pass making sense. I personally don't like the local busses and try to avoid them when possible.

Good luck
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread