Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/1/9 09:57
Hi all

I'm off to Japan for the second time in March for 15 days and this time will be getting a sim card, I prefer those to a wifi router as it's one less thing to carry around. I've been looking many different forums on here about the best sim card to buy and I am confused. I'm not sure how much data I will be needing and I don't want to run out, mostly I will be using translate, google maps and Hyperdia for trains. I've found a couple of options on Mobal and Simcard Geek for 16 days both mixed reviews on them actually working and I really don't want to waste my money. I am considering either of these two on Amazon as they both have decent enough reviews

https:/c

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2VZD3W

I mostly want it shipped to my house in NZ as my flight doesn't land till 9 pm Japan time and I think that most post shops will be closed by then. If you have experience the companies I am looking at please let me know or other brands as well. I mostly just want to be able to put it in my phone when I land in Narita.

Thanks

Hannah
by Hannah (guest)  

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/1/15 10:18
Hello!

I'm surprised that no one has replied to your inquiry. Did you come to Japan yet or are you about to arrive? There is a great company that you can get a sim card for short-term and don't have to worry about a contract or anything. The prices are great too.

Try https://www.sakuramobile.jp/

There are lots of options for you to choose from depending on the kind of data you want and the length you will rent for.
by Motti15 rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/1/15 20:33
Hi Hannah,

I bought my SIM card through https://www.jrailpass.com/sim-card and I didn't have any problem at all. After comparing different official vendors, this agent had the best deal. In less than a week, my purchase arrived at my home door. I have an iPhone 4 and the Micro SIM worked perfectly.

Hope my personal experience helps you :)

Enjoy!

by Claire Stone (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/1/17 05:24
These replies are helpful but when I go to the URLs indicated, I do not see an option to purchase the card now and have it shipped to a foreign address --- I would like to get it at my home in USA before getting my flight on 25 Feb. for Japan. Does anyone know if that is possible? If not, can I have it shipped to a friend's address in Japan? I see only options for picking it up at airports or postoffices or at the locations of the vendor. Thanks!
by mischsyl rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/1/29 20:15
Almost all SIM/Wifi router rental companies will ship the product to your Japanese hotel, ready for your arrival.
This will mean that you won't have it for the journey from airport to hotel but you can plan that before arrival anyway so the lack of wifi should be no issue.
Having it sent to another country will take much longer and has a much higher risk of it being lost in the post.
If your flight arrives too late, have it delivered to your hotel. Easy.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/5 03:44
I used Sakura Mobile and SoftBank. Sakura Mobile is better, but you cannot make phone calls. internet use only. Because of my last minute to second booking and missing the last train a lot of time i have to make calls a lot. But thank goodness for public phone.

Anyhow. if your looking for internet only, i would say Sakura Mobile. Pick up and drop off at the airport and their customer service is amazing by email. you can also go to their office.

I would like to try a sim card from eBay once to see whats its like.

I hope this help
by Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/7 09:48
I'm going to give pocket wifi a go next trip as it will allow me to keep my usual sim in the phone, also it can be shared with my wife.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/9 23:01

I have just checked and agreed pocket WiFi rental sounds like a much better option.
I am planning to hire one for a month, so many to choose from, very confusing. Could anyone please recommend?
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/13 11:06
I saw that Ninja was recommended on one site (Tokyo Insider) and that is who I am going with, but I dont have first hand experience.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/15 23:14
@ Lazy Pious
Thank you for the info, will check it out later.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/19 07:37
I pre-purchased a Mobal 16 day tourist SIM and am very happy with it.
Was sent to my address in Western Australia within 3 days of purchasing.
I'm 60 and not that tech-savvy, but put it into my phone on arrival and followed the instructions in the pack (for ios phone), and it worked!
Am here in Hakuba at the moment enjoying unlimited google mapping etc...
Vicki
by Vicki Rose (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/22 15:58
This Mobal 16 - is usable in laptop as well?
I use local SIM with Huawei internet stick when travelling in EU, and wonder if could do the same in Japan with Japanese SIM.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/2/22 17:53
For foreigners GTN MOBILE Ranking No.1 Mobile service
by ninaholm rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/3/15 08:07
SIM cards are about half the price of a mobile wifi and also offer unlimited high speed data (slow speeds after 150-200mb per day depending on carrier)

I had originally booked a mobile wifi and realized that I could unlock my phone through my carrier for $50, and save $25 by using a sim instead of pocket wifi...and I'm also traveling to Thailand where mobile wifi is much more expensive than SIMs.
by steven1209 rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/3/28 19:41
A little late to the party and I see you've already made a choice; anywhoo, here's my 2 cents:
I got Mobal sim and it was great. Fast 4G everywhere I went, even in the mountains in Nagano, a real phone number all worked fine. Plus Mobal is the only tourist option with a real phone number.
by streem26 rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/6/29 20:05
I used a pocket wifi on my trip to Japan instead of a SIM Card and for me was a better fit!

You can choose the dates you want to rent it and connect up to 5 devices. For me and my wife was a better deal than a sim. Besides, you can pick it up and give it back at the airport, which is much more convenient.
by Mark (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/12/1 22:37
I find it best to buy a SIM card, for example, from a service like Mobal. With them, you can even get a SIM card right at the airport or arrange delivery to your address.
by ThomasWeek rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/12/1 22:43
You cannot buy a SIM card with call minutes and text. You can only buy data sim. Use VoIP (Skype) for voice and SMS. Use messaging apps to sent text to others who have the same apps.
by AlisaFrost rate this post as useful

Re: Best sim card for Japan 2 weeks? 2020/12/19 15:44
You cannot buy a SIM card with call minutes and text.

Yes you can.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread