Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/9 16:01
I know that flowers can mean certain things and I was told that the white lily flower = purity is a meaning that is relatively well known and not obscure. I was wondering, is this right to say?
by SasorizaStinger  

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/9 19:07
I would say yes, pure/purity, or majestic/dignity as well. And it is quite commonly known that white lilies stand for "purity" (for people who are interested in flowers and what they stand for in general, that is, of course).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/10 07:10
I mean in Japan based on your experience or living there. How much is it known in general by people? Commonly, or to a small extent somewhat as my friend said it's not obscure
by SasorizaStinger rate this post as useful

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/10 09:03
Yes, I answered it as a Japanese living in Japan. :) I believe it is pretty much commonly known, as long as that person is interested in flowers.

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/11 23:47
@AK, sorry,let me elaborate. I mean amongst those into flowers, it is common, but i meant amongst the general public/people in general overall, like how well known is it? Someone said its not mainstream but someone else said its relativley well known or not obscure, so I guess somewhat common/common to an extent and I was wondering, which is accurate?Is it not mainstream at all, or to some extent?

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/12 08:59
Oh, sorry if i asked so much, just wanted clarification if its ok with you. Is what I asked more clear?

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/12 12:54
Ifd say itfs pretty commonly known – I wouldnft say I am really into flowers, but I knew it.

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/13 03:15
Oh, thank you. I had one more question as I heard that the lily flower is also a symbol of girls love/lesbianism. So I was curious between the lily being associated with purity and that, any idea which association is more widely known?

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/13 11:42
I didnft know that meaning.
By the way, what are you trying to do? Are you thinking of giving someone a gift of a bouquet of white lilies and thinking what the recipient might think of it, or putting it in a fiction as a symbol or something?

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/20 09:24
@AK, oh sorry for the late reply, I'll elaborate,

When you say commonly known, do you mean among people in general and not just those interested in flowers? And is it based on your experiences with others as well?

Yes, I wanted to use it as a symbol in fiction and decoration

Re: Lilies = purity meaning 2020/1/25 15:05
Obviously I cannot speak for everyone in Japan, but I answered as a Japanese person living in Japan, who is not particularly into flowers, but yes I knew the gpurityh meaning.

On the other hand, I did not know the meaning related to lesbian/girlsf love. I had to look it up, and gyuri (lily) anime (animation/comics)h indeed seems to refer to girlsf love comics/animation, but I believe this meaning is used more in the comics/animation fan world, and not in general. There are those jargon/words with specific meaning only to a limited audience, and I take it as one of those.

reply to this thread